This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Oregon 450 and Garmin TOPO US 24K Northeast

Hi. I"m new to using the 450. I purchased the Garmin TOPO US 24K Northeast micro SD card. When i insert it into the GPS and can view the maps fine. Is it possible to load these onto the internal memory of the GPS. I did contact Garmin and the lady said that no that is not possible but it seems like you should be able to. I tried using base camp but when i click on the Northeast and send to device it indicates no data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Boyd 1974 Points
    Sorry, the Garmin rep was correct, you cannot load that map into internal memory. It must be used on the original SD card due to Garmin's copy protection scheme. This is one reason why it is (generally) a bad idea to purchase maps on the pre-loaded cards. I also have the same map on a card BTW, I purchased it many years ago.

Maps in this format are not compatible with sending to the GPS from Basecamp/MapInstall. You would need to purchase the DVD version if you want that option. You could copy the files from the card directly to internal memory, but that would produce an error message to the effect "cannot unlock maps" when you try to use them on your Oregon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…. :(
  • Thanks so much for the quick response. Guess I'll be leaving it in my GPS.
    Happy Trails.
  • If you don't mind me asking...can you suggest which would be the best maps to purchase and what format. I will use mostly for hiking out west and in the northeast.
    Thanks
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    edited September 2015
    Before purchasing anything else, I suggest you look at the free user contributed maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ almost all of these are free and include an installer to make them visible in Basecamp. You can then select any portion you desire and send to your Oregon. This tutorial explains the installation process: www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

This tutorial explains how to send to your Oregon: www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#pcbasecamp

Since they're free, just download whatever looks interesting and see if you like them. If not, then you could look at Garmin products. If purchasing from Garmin, the DVD version generally offers the most flexibility. These maps are not copy protected so you can load them on cards or internal memory. You could also use them on all the Garmin devices that you own. And they are installed directly in Basecamp for use on the computer.

Now we have another thread here suggesting that Garmin might discontinue the DVD versions. It's also possible that they could change the copy protection, although the DVD I have is not restricted.
  • Thanks so much for the great information.