This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator NA 2016.20 has been released.

City Navigator NA 2016.20 has been released and is available from Garmin Express or Garmin MapUpdater.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    Just noticed I posted this in the wrong section. Please move to the Garmin Auto Forum when you get a chance. Thanks.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Done. :)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited October 2015
    Boyd said:

Done. :)

For a second there (without reading Rick's second post), seeing the title and then reading your "Done", I thought you finished updating your maps...something I don't think I've ever known you to do. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I've done it a couple times. Probably should do it again one of these days, I read somewhere that you will lose the lifetime subscription if you don't update every so often (2 years maybe)?

But really, all the excitement surrounding the release of a new map version just baffles me. Did you ever see that scene in "The Jerk" with Steve Martin where he comes running out shouting "The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!!!!" :))
  • t923347 432 Points
    Boyd said:

I've done it a couple times. Probably should do it again one of these days, I read somewhere that you will lose the lifetime subscription if you don't update every so often (2 years maybe)?

Yes, I believe you have to update at least every 2 years. A friend of ours just attempted to update to 2016.20 and got the message that since their current maps were so old they would need to purchase the update.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Cedar Rapids is in the process of changing many downtown through streets that have been one ways for over 50 years into two way. While these changes didn't make it in this map update I sure hope they do in the next. I know it is the drivers responsibility to pay attention and not blindly follow the GPS, but I do see this particular situation as a safety concern.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Boyd said:

But really, all the excitement surrounding the release of a new map version just baffles me. Did you ever see that scene in "The Jerk" with Steve Martin where he comes running out shouting "The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!!!!" :))

Ha ha! That's about the size of it too. There are usually very few changes, but I do notice they shift the street name labels around a little each time to give the illusion of change.

• SergZak 340 Points
    edited October 2015
    With this 2016.2 release, a newly-built housing tract has actually been added to the maps. I believe this tract was actually finished about 6 months ago. I also believe this is the first time I've monitored a new addition...known about it, then paid attention to when it was actually added. So they definitely are adding/correcting things...I believe though that it pretty much needs to be in front of your face for you to notice.

Personally, I thought that the new Sears catalog was much more interesting than the phone book. ;)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
  • It's also funny how some people get so excited about Garmin Express updates.. I've even seen long threads about it at other forums when a new release comes out. It's like Santa Claus came for a visit :))
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    I updated my Nuvi!! I updated my Nuvi!!!!! :))

And it was just as painful as usual. Tried MapUpdater first, it crashed 6 hours into a 7 hour download. Started again and it claimed my Nuvi was already up to date, which is clearly wasn't since the download never even finished. Chose the option to re-install and it estimated 3 hours. Crashed again after less than an hour so I gave up on that approach.

Next I downloaded the latest Garmin Express, it was after 9:00PM at this point, so I let it run overnight, it estimated 7.5 hours. My only internet option here is slow Verizon DSL so that time is similar to what I've seen in the past. In the morning, my 3550 was up to date. I have 2gb free on the 3550 now, I think there was 2.6gb free before the update. The old map was 2013.x.

Anyway, it worked. I chose a custom option in Express to only update the map and not the firmware. But firmware was updated anyway. Whatever.

Also, I didn't see any option to install the map to the computer at the beginning of the download. After the download, that option appeared. But it was unclear as to whether choosing it would require another long download, so I passed.

I like the way Garmin uses the "Royal We" in Express… "that's all we need from you for now". Or maybe "we" refers to all the Garmin bugs that have been installed on your computer? ;)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited October 2015
    Wow great news .... :)) :))

It shouldn't take as long as Express downloads files to your PC anyway, all it needs to do if you now want them on your PC for BaseCamp/Mapsource to use is convert the files appropriately.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "And it was just as painful as usual. Tried MapUpdater first, it crashed 6 hours into a 7 hour download...."

That used to happen to me all the time. Now with a very fast connection the whole process takes about five minutes.

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    I thought mapupdater was discontinued for some time. That would explain why it crashed.
    Anyway the files are saved on your computer so you can choose the option to install to your computer to see it in basecamp. it might need to install some installation files but not the whole map again.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Btw why do my posts need to be approved first?
    Is this something new?

Anyway in my area it looks like there isnt any difference from 2006.10
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Btw why do my posts need to be approved first?

@Zemartelo, Our spam filtering system is not new, however for some reason your account was triggering it recently.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Garmin definitely wants you to use Express and doesn't advertise Mapupdater anymore, but it is still available for download here: http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

I decided to try it first because I've had problems with Express in the past. But it seemed to work OK this time.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    The only problem that i have with express as far downloading the maps is concerned is that mapupdater puts the files in the windows temp folder and is able to resume them if the app is closed whereas xpress puts the files in a temp folder and it restarts the download if you close Express. For me its a problem because i have bandwidth caps and for this last map update express locked up and would not download anything forcing me to close and the files were big files yhat had to be restarted (jcv file, asr file).