This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need a New Gps

Hi

my garmin nuvi 1450 died and now I am looking for replacement.

looking for about the same size(5in), fast navigation through menu, life time maps and possibly voice commands(depending if they have improved greatly since 2011).

looking under $200, open to other brands(how is tom tom and magellen)?

I have maps on my phone but don't like it as much as dedicated unit.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    How about a factory refurbished Nuvi 3590LMT for $150 at GPSCity? Very nice 5" glass multi-touch screen, voice recognition and realistic 3d views that include buildings and terrain. This model was introduced in 2012 and originally cost $450 IIRC. Garmin refurbs have the same warranty as new and it includes lifetime maps and HD traffic.

I see a Nuvi 3597LMT refurb for $230 at thegpstore.com. This is a newer version of the 3590 with a different user interface, magnetic release mount (good for erasing your credit cards) and improved support for user-created routes.

Personally I like the 3590 better (I have a 3550) for the geeky reason that you can customize the user interface ;) see my tutorial here: http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Depends on what you want. The 2597 screen is not as nice as the 3590 or 3597, it doesn't have a powered mount and doesn't show 3d terrain or buildings. That would be fine with many people.

Here's a side by side comparison of the 3590, 3597 and 2597

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=96637&compareProduct=121762&compareProduct=122521
  • chobo2 41 Points
    hmm would be nice to actually play around with each one but 3590 might be discontinued
  • chobo2 41 Points
    does the 3590 have voice cmds?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    Yes, that is why I suggested the refurb. Evidently you are in Canada? Exchange rates are going to tilt the scales in that case. Here in the US, a new 2597 is $165. Personally I would prefer the refurb 3590 at $150. However I also see a refurb 2597 for $115 which is an attractive price.

The screen on the 2597 will be basically the same as your 1450, 5" 480x272 pixels plastic resistive touchscreen. The 3590 and 3597 screens are more like a modern smartphone, 5" 800x480 pixels glass capacitive touchscreen. They support gestures like pinch/spread zooming and using two fingers to rotate and tilt the map in 3d view. They also automatically adjust between landscape and portrait view when you rotate the device in the mount.

Have never used a 2597, but according to the specs you must manually switch between portrait and landscape mode using the menus.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    Yea in Canada. Yea I want something with better touch screen and fast response time. My old one I had to push o hard to get a key to register and it was so slow.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The 13xx and 14xx series Nuvi screens really left a lot to be desired. I used to have a 1350 myself and always hated the screen. This was discussed frequently in the forums a number of years ago. Many people sent these back under warranty because of poor touchscreen response. After awhile, Garmin issued a firmware update that apparently improved screen response. Don't know how effective that was because I gave mine away long before then. ;)
  • chobo2 41 Points
    What you think of the nuvi 56? So many models dont know what to make of it all.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited October 2015
    Never used one but the 'Essential range', which is where the 56 sits, is getting features that were reserved for more expensive models in the past, for example the 56 now has a trip planning app. You really need to decide what is essential to you and buy the appropriate model, although the choice does seem bewildering at times. You could start here

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/on-the-road/automotive/2015-line/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c10201-p1.html

and select the options you want to narrow the choice down.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    2589 is what the 2015 lineup goes do e to. The big problem is most stores these days dont have demo models so I cant play around and see the speed of it or test the features.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    chobo2 said:

The big problem is most stores these days dont have demo models

Unfortunately, the real problem is that most people don't buy dedicated GPS devices anymore. :(

Here in the US, Best Buy still has a variety of models but only a few of them are operational in the store display. Not familiar with Canadian consumer protection laws, but there are US vendors that still offer liberal return/exchange policies if you aren't satisfied - Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, REI for example - probably many others. You would still be responsible to pay return shipping though.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited October 2015
    Costco and Amazon have the same return policy here as they do in the US, AFAIK. Another place that comes to mind is GpsCIty.ca which has a 30 day return policy as outlined at http://www.gpscity.ca/returnpolicy
  • alanb 539 Points
    @chobo2 out of curiosity, what type of failure did you have on your nuvi 1450? Was it the USB port / charging system by chance? If so, you might want to consider a replacement unit that has a powered mount.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    well my orignal cable died like 2 years ago so i bought some afrer market one that worked fine but now everytime i plug it in it will randomly restart or think its plugged into computer
  • chobo2 41 Points
    t923347 said:

Costco and Amazon have the same return policy here as they do in the US, AFAIK. Another place that comes to mind is GpsCIty.ca which has a 30 day return policy as outlined at http://www.gpscity.ca/returnpolicy

I will have to pay restocking fee and shipping
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    In that case, perhaps it's best to limit your selection whatever devices your local retailers have in stock?
  • alanb 539 Points
    chobo2 said:

well my orignal cable died like 2 years ago so i bought some afrer market one that worked fine but now everytime i plug it in it will randomly restart or think its plugged into computer

Sure sounds like the USB port failure that is so common on these models. My advice ... spend a litle more and get a unit with a powered mount, even if it is refurb instead of new. Boyd's suggestion of the 3590 refurb would fit in that category.

• chobo2 41 Points
    alanb said:

chobo2 said:

Sure sounds like the USB port failure that is so common on these models. My advice ... spend a litle more and get a unit with a powered mount, even if it is refurb instead of new. Boyd's suggestion of the 3590 refurb would fit in that category.

I figured that was the problem. Wish I could play around with 3590 first.Seems like its a few years old since 3590 came out. Kibda scared it is already obsolete and will be slow
  • t923347 432 Points
    Well I doubt it will be slow, especially if your old unit was a 1450. The 3xxx series models are light years ahead of the 1xxx models in both speed and functionality. As we have said before, Costco, Amazon, Gpscity, and other online dealers have very good return policies so you've got tons of time to "play around" with any model you want that they sell. Just look up what they offer at Costco.ca, Amazon.ca, Gpscity.ca or most any of the other net based retailers in Canada.

There is no such thing as an obsolete Nuvi really. The very first Nuvi 350 from 2005 are still supported to some degree by Garmin. Models many be listed as discontinued, they are not listed as obsolete and, to the best of my knowledge, never listed as "not supported" or "no longer supported". A factory refurb 3590 will be an excellent choice and well with your price range. It comes with the exact same warranty that it would have had when new so there isn't much chance of it being a bad choice as far as reliability is concerned.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    I am now leaning towards the nuvi 56lm as I can get it all in for like $135 CDN. It may not have the voice stuff but it seems fast when I tried it in the store and not sure if the paying an extra like $80 CDN for 3590 would be worth it especially since I never got to play around it and can't really picture the differences.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    The 56 is a bottom of the line product. The 3590 is top of the line. There are many differences, but perhaps the most noticeable is the screen. It is made of glass on the 3590 and is much higher resolution. It has 384,000 pixels vs only 130,560 pixels on the 56. It also supports multi-touch features, like a modern smartphone. But based on what you've said, I assume you don't have any experience with smartphones. :)

It is also thinner and better suited to carrying around. And it features something called "advanced pedestrian mode" that is specifically designed for navigation on foot. Garmin dropped this feature from the Nuvi in 2013.

Nevertheless, if you are happy with the 56 and can get it from a local merchant, I don't see any reason not to do so.
  • chobo2 41 Points
    I am sure its a good device but if I don't like it. I am going to be done at least $40 due to gpscity restocking policy and return shipping.
  • Weather 0 Points
    I am also needing to move on from a 1450 because I cannot get my saved points from it or update maps (apparently the port problem mentioned above).
    I was able to find a 3590 refurb on Amazon for $218. This thread is several months old. Is there currently a better option?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited April 2016
    I think $218 is a bit high for a refurb, considering that they were going for $150 6 months ago when I posted above. I think it's a nice unit though. It does not have some of the "latest and greatest" features though, like "real directions", Foursquare, current street display and the improved trip planner. None of those interest me personally, but some people like them.

Perhaps a Nuvi 2689 is worth looking at? I see refurbs for $140 at gpscity. Have never seen one myself, but it is a newer model with a larger screen (6") and the newer features.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Boyd said:

Perhaps a Nuvi 2689 is worth looking at? I see refurbs for $140 at gpscity. Have never seen one myself, but it is a newer model with a larger screen

I was in Best Buy today and took a minute to check out the Nuvi 2689, they are selling it new for about $225. Seems like a nice model with all the features that most people will want. So I would look for a 2689 refurb at GPSCity and other online vendors, at $140 that would be a better deal than $218 for a 3590, which is a 4 year old model now. Even at $225 for a new 2689, I suspect most people would go for it.

I have some geeky reasons for liking the 2012 models because of a hack that works on them (but doesn't work on newer models), but that's just me. ;)