This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Express and CN EU 2016.20

I would like to update my 3597 to the latest release of the European maps: 2016.20 I would like the whole map on my device, if possible.
I'm told, however, that I need to install an SD card of at least 4 GB. I do, in fact, have one installed with 8 GB. But Garmin Express is not accepting this card, even though it exceeds its stated requirements.
If I install a smaller selection of countries – which wouldn't be so terrible – voice command is not supported in any of the regions. At least, that is what Express says.
For the life of me, I cannot understand this being the case. Can anyone confirm that this is true? That voice command is not supported if you install a region of the European maps?

What’s with Garmin and their software?

Comments

• Ramaprem 112 Points
    And, sorry – I simply don't know where else to ask this:
    1. Do I really have to bookmark my own topics? If I start a topic, I need to bookmark it in order to get a notification?
    2. Have email notifications been stopped? If someone comments on my topic, I cannot be notified by email of this action? This is how I see it in the notifications preferences. This is new to me, although I do not participate very often in this forum.
    Thanks.
  • alanb 541 Points
    edited October 2015
    Your SD card needs to be formatted FAT32 and not NTFS. If Garmin Express is not offering to use the SD card for a map update, it generally indicates that there is room in internal storage for the map, so a SD card is not needed. Where are your being told you need a 4 GB SD card? Is Garmin Express giving that message? The full Europe map is getting pretty large, so with all the additional files you get with a map update (JCV, speech recognition, traffic trends, etc), there may no longer be enough space on a 3597. Have you cleaned out all voice, text and help files for unused languages?

If you want to force a map update to SD card, there are a couple of methods that will accomplish this. Let us know if that is what you are trying to do.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks.
    My 8GB card, which I have been using for years, is formatted Fat32.
    Garmin express is not offering to use internal storage – because it knows, correctly, that it will not fit in internal storage. I am the one that is designating the sd card as the place to install the new map. I assure you, that SD card is needed for the new 7.2GB map.
    Express is giving me the message that I need a 4GB card to install the map. This happens when I give the instructions on where and how to install.

Since Express is not making any sense to me, then yes, I guess I do want to force a map update to my sd card.
  • alanb 541 Points
    Is your current map on the SD card and working OK? There are a couple of things you could try. You could try to use Garmin Map Updater instead of Garmin Express to see if it will recognize the SD card. Note that on the North America map version, Map Updater somtimes corrupts the gmapdem.img file, so make sure you have a backup before trying this.

If Map Updater doesn't work, you could try cloning. You can find a writeup I did on this method in another forum. You can find it if you google "Garmin Maps Cloning Method".
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited October 2015
    "Is your current map on the SD card and working OK?" - Yes.
  • alanb 541 Points
    edited October 2015
    Garmin Map Updater (for PC) can be downloaded from here: http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

and for Mac from here: http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I'll give MapUpdater (Mac) a go.
    Thanks.

And I would appreciate any info - from anyone - who can confirm that voice command will not work - just because I'm not installing all of Europe. What crap!
  • alanb 541 Points
    edited October 2015
    Hopefully our friend sussamb will be along and can answer your question about voice command for the partial Europe map. I am aware that this same restriction exists for certain partial installs of the NA map.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited October 2015
    I'm counting on sussamb.
    Don't we all? ^:)^

I'm now getting e-mail notifications; so that seems to be resolved.
    But how about the question of requiring one to bookmark one's own topics? Is this really the case? It seems to be - but makes no sense to me.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It's an interesting question :)

Garmin say it won't work but I've seen some postings that indicates it works if you just install the UK map. Guess all you could do is try?
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I've been trying all my life.
    Thanks.

I have a little trip to make tomorrow - so I guess that I'll leave my present set-up (2016.10) - which is working, of course - as is for the moment.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Ramaprem said:

II'm now getting e-mail notifications; so that seems to be resolved.
    But how about the question of requiring one to bookmark one's own topics? Is this really the case? It seems to be - but makes no sense to me.

Don't know if Tim changed anything with your notifications, but I didn't. So it probably just started working all by itself. ;)

Personally I don't care for e-mail notifications so I have them turned off. But if you check "Notify me when people comment on my discussions", then my understanding is that you will get an e-mail whenever someone posts to a thread you've participated in.

I thought "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions" would send you notifications for a bookmarked thread that you didn't necessarily participate in.

But I could be all wrong there, will ask Tim to have a look. :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited October 2015
    I just know that, earlier this year, I was not getting notifications by Email - as I used to - when someone commented on a discussion in which I had taken part.
    This is a preference of mine, which I wish to maintain.

Here is the present situation in notifications Prefs:
    With nothing to check/uncheck in some of the Email settings, I am not sure what happens.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    OK, I think I understand what you're saying now. If I look at my preferences, there does not appear to be a way to enable e-mail notifications other than when people mention me or I earn a badge.

I don't see any other setting that would enable this either. Let's see what Tim says...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    This is what my notifications preference page looks like…

• Ramaprem 112 Points
    I tried to post the same screenshot, but could not - even though I have done this in the past!

I uploaded the image and got the "forum" URL. I then went back to my post, clicked on "Image", and copied that URL into that window. But the image did not show - just a place marker.
    I'm quite used to posting images in forum discussions; so I'm not getting what the issue is.

If you can help...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    I believe the link must be an actual image file. In other words, the link needs to end in .jpg or .png or .bmp, etc. It will not work if you use a link to code that displays an image.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited October 2015
    Yes; that's it. This forum works differently than another, in which I post regularly.
    Many thanks.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Ramaprem said:

I just know that, earlier this year, I was not getting notifications by Email - as I used to - when someone commented on a discussion in which I had taken part.

The notification system hasn't changed. You can be notified of all replies to discussions you start, and can opt to receive notifications to discussions you bookmark. If you reply to someone else's discussion you won't be notified of replies by default. You can, however, bookmark a conversation you didn't start and receive notifications.

And of course none of these notifications will achieve the intent if the email gets blocked by a spam filter out of our control.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Ramaprem said:

But how about the question of requiring one to bookmark one's own topics? Is this really the case

Not unless you have changed the default notification preferences. The default setting is to notify you of comments added to discussions you start. If you didn't start the discussion you can bookmark it to receive notifications.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    Tim, look at my screenshot above. There are 6 types of notifications. But it is only possible to select e-mail for the last two items on the list. I can't receive e-mail notifications for threads I started (for example) because there is no box to check for that item.

Or maybe I'm missing something obvious? :-B
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Boyd, I guess what we have both been missing is that the default settings – which cannot be changed – involves receiving email notifications for the first 4 categories of actions.
    Tim, do I understand this correctly? Everyone should be receiving email notifications of those top 4 actions?
    And if I comment on a topic that I did not start, I must bookmark it in order to receive email notifications of further comments?

I check my spam filter at least once each day; I know that I was not receiving notifications at some time. But I'm getting them now, so that point is, for me, mute.
  • FuxieDK 36 Points
    edited October 2015
    Why does my updater says I'm up to date, when I have 2016.10 installed? Why won't it let me download 2016.20??

I updated to 2015.40 and 2016.10 just fine (have lifetime subscription)..
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Why?
    Because Garmin's software is crap.
  • alanb 541 Points
    @FuxieDK ... What map are you trying to update? Are you using Garmin Express or Garmin Map Updater? Which version?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited October 2015
    @FuxieDK

I've answered this in your other post. You must have the NT map version and there's no update this time around.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Ramaprem said:

Boyd, I guess what we have both been missing is that the default settings – which cannot be changed – involves receiving email notifications for the first 4 categories of actions.
    Tim, do I understand this correctly? Everyone should be receiving email notifications of those top 4 actions?
    And if I comment on a topic that I did not start, I must bookmark it in order to receive email notifications of further comments?

The simple answer is yes. The following notifications, to be sent by email, are turned on by default on all accounts.

Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    Notify me when people mention me in comments.
    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    Notify me when people mention me in discussion titles.
    Ramaprem said:

I check my spam filter at least once each day; I know that I was not receiving notifications at some time. But I'm getting them now, so that point is, for me, mute.

In my experience looking at this issue with other people-- many email providers are deleting some portion of messages they believe are certainly spam, while letting other "probably spam" messages through into a spam folder or otherwise marking it.

I've looked through our server logs on a number of occasions and in each case I've been able to confirm that either the person thought they would get a notification when in fact the settings were not enabled to notify, or the email was indeed sent from our server to the recipient and what happened from that point forward is out of our control.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited October 2015
    Getting back to (one of) my original questions:
    I've just loaded a partial map (Central Europe), which fits snugly on my existing sd-card with no apparent problem. It actually covers most all my driving needs - and can be changed at will.
    And voice command works! Thank you Garmin for the information.

And I used Garmin Express. When working (and it mostly has for me), it is my preferred app. There are so many - it's confusing.
  • FuxieDK 36 Points
    FuxieDK said:

Why does my updater says I'm up to date, when I have 2016.10 installed? Why won't it let me download 2016.20??

....and now, I'm a happy man..

Yesterday, I was able to update to 2016.20 NT version....

• FuxieDK 36 Points
    FuxieDK said:

FuxieDK said:

Now, I'm a happy man..

Yesterday, I was able to update to 2016.20 NT version....

...and now I'm MAD!!!!

A specific motorway, which was finished in April (before 2016.10 was released) but opened for use 12/7-15 (after 2016.10 was released) is NOT PRESENT on 2016.20 map..

I can understand, it wasn't on .10 map.. Don't lead people down a road, which is not open yet.. But .20????? What gives???