This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to download Garmin vista to Base Camp

How to download Garmin Vista to Base Camp in GPX

Comments

• privet01 205 Points
    Garmin Vista..... I think that's pretty old tech and might work better with the old Garmin MapSource. However if you go into the setup and select usb mass storage mode then you might be able to browse to it with your computers file explorer and import them into Garmin Basecamp. You may still need to download the Garmin USB drivers though as older Garmins used a proprietary interface that didn't work with the standard drivers of the time.

I have an old Garmin GPSmap76csx and still use Garmin Mapsource with no issues other than the last time I installed it was dodgy trying to remember where I put all the information to get my maps unlocked again. Garmin's long since changed the map licensing scheme on most of their maps so Basecamp handling of maps is less stringent.

Garmin did add support for many of their older devices to Basecamp so be sure you are using the latest version and you might want to call Garmin Support for confirmation of that whether yea or nay. If Basecamp does have support for the Vista, then you can use the "send to" and "get from" device buttons which make it a little easier than going through the "import" steps.

I'm sure someone here will know a better answer, but this might get you going in the meantime.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited October 2015
    privet01 said:

Garmin Vista..... I think that's pretty old tech and might work better with the old Garmin MapSource. However if you go into the setup and select usb mass storage mode then you might be able to browse to it with your computers file explorer and import them into Garmin Basecamp.

Does the Vista have a USB interface or is it a serial interface? I had a Legend (close cousin of the Vista) many years ago and think it had a USB interface. Anyway, devices with serial interfaces are not compatible with Basecamp, even if you use a seral to USB adapter. You must use Mapsource with these old devices.

I think the Vista behaves as @privet01 describes, but that is only part of the story. USB mass storage mode on these devices is solely for the purpose of accessing an installed memory card. There is no user-accessible internal memory on this generation GPS. And the only thing stored on the memory card is maps. The GPSMap 60 and 76 series could also write archived track files to the memory card, but I don't think the eTrex had that feature.

If you want to access your tracks, waypoints and routes, connect your Legend and go to the Device > Receive from Device menu in Basecamp. A window should open and show your Legend on the device list. Click OK and the data will be transferred. You will see a new list in the left pane named with today's date and time, such as 20/24/2015 3:45:02 PM. Click on the list and you will see its contents. Use View > Swap Map and Data Views to see your data in list form.
  • Hello. Thanks for taking time to my respond to my question. You have come up with a couple of
    different angles for me to persue. Every bit helps.
    Regards..PJP..
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Happy to help. To explain a little further…. newer Garmin devices are file-based. When connected to a computer, they behave like USB disks. Tracks, routes and waypoints are stored in .gpx format on these devices so Basecamp simply reads the files.

Older devices like the Vista are different. They use a special protocol originally designed for slow serial interfaces. Basecamp sends a request to the GPS for data, then the GPS answers with a list of its contents. Then Basecamp requests that each item be transferred to the computer. So a "conversation" actually takes place between your GPS and computer.