This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin introduces…. a smart scale?

Obviously trying to branch out into other products…. But for $150, I'll pass on "completing my circle of wellness". ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/garmin-index-smart-scale/prod530464.html

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2015/10/introducing-the-index-smart-scale.html#.VjdilOmQz8s

Today we're excited to announce the Index Smart Scale. A connected scale with metrics that matter, the Index Smart Scale is another tool that will help Garmin users pursue their health and fitness goals. In addition to weight, it measures body mass index, body fat percentage, water percentage, muscle mass and bone mass. Designed for multiple users, this smart scale has an easy-to-use interface and automatically uploads measurements over Wi-Fi® to Garmin Connect™. The Index Smart Scale is the first body composition monitor integrated directly into the Garmin ecosystem of products.

“The Index Smart Scale is an exciting addition to the Garmin lineup,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “We designed this smart scale to be both beautiful and functional, and with it we’re able to complete the wellness circle of weight management. We’re also excited to offer this as an option to our millions of running, cycling and multisport athletes who are looking for a smart solution to track body composition data along with the rest of their data in Garmin Connect.”

Comments

• alanb 366 Points
    @Boyd ... Maybe someone will get you one for Christmas, along with this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/533/garmin-babycam-/prod521255.html. :))
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    Maybe Santa will bring one of these too. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/pet-obedience/barklimiter-deluxe/prod133653.html LOL, I remember when they used to make GPS receviers. :))
  • How can the scale measure all of those things without extra sensors??
  • alanb 366 Points
    Zemartelo said:

How can the scale measure all of those things without extra sensors??

FM!

And no, that is not a radio signal (second word is magic) :D
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    edited November 2015
    I have a digital scale that claims to measure most of those things (weight, fat %, water % and bone mass) but I just use it for weight. I think it cost $30. According to the manual, when you stand with one foot on each sensor it sends a very small electric current through your body. The scale can (supposedly) calculate percentages of bone, muscle and water based on the time it takes the circuit to complete. It can then calculate and display BMI. The manual for my scale has a full page of disclaimers as to why it may not be accurate. ;)

My $30 scale isn't wifi enabled and doesn't have an app. Neither of those features would interest me, but maybe if you're seriously into training there would be some value?

I got mine about 3 years ago when I decided to get serious about losing weight. Hadn't had a bathroom scale for years and was surprised to find similar digital scales from several companies for less than $40.
  • privet01 145 Points
    BMI is strictly a calculation based on height and weight. No extra sensors necessary but you do enter the height data manually. At least you do on the scale I have. It also uses a small electrical current to figure the other stuff, but IMO, its more guesstimation based on averages and probably it's calculation is heavily weighted by the BMI calculation.

Additionally, the BMI calculation was not originally intended to be used to assess the health of an individual as it's creator realized it was based on averages that vary greatly. It was only intended to assess the overall health of a large group of people for demographics.
  • alanb 366 Points
    Like I said ... FM :)
  • So what Boyd is saying is just slap a Garmin logo on a $40 scale and it automatically becomes a $150 scale... Lol
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    edited November 2015
    Well, not exactly, their scale has wifi and ANT connectivity so it can talk to their fitness devices, your computer and phone. If you are into the "Garmin EcoSystem" I guess that would be appealing.

But mainly…. It will complete your circle of wellness. ^:)^
  • SergZak 240 Points
    edited November 2015
    Boyd said:

But mainly…. It will complete your circle of wellness. ^:)^

Well in my case, It'll take another 359 degrees to complete my circle of wellness! ;)
  • I bought one of these today. connection was simple but there seems to be a 1lbs difference (I use Lbs for weight) between my old £40 bathroom digital scale and this new Garmin smart index scale. I was confident with my old scale accuracy but now Im not sure which scale is correct. other than that everything links to Garmin Connect with no problem