This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Have not been here for a long, long time .......Need your advice

Hi
I am really envious of my sons Garmin. It has the feature that I want the most.......It always shows the name of the road that you are on..................I have the 3580LM. Is there any chance of getting a software update to show this ?

Ron

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    In 2013 Garmin changed the main screen to add a special field that always shows the name of the current street. I'd say there's zero chance that Garmin will add this to a 2012 model like the 3580. If it's a "must have" for you, there are refurb 3597s for around $200 if you shop around.

There is a trick on the 3580 that will show the name of the road in the top green bar however: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28854/nuvi-2555lmt-road-names

• Spent the last hour trying all combinations....Did not work for me at all..... The 3580LM has been rock solid for me from day one so it will be hard to give it up ...... hhmmmmmmmmm
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited December 2015
    What "combinations" did you try? The trick I posted worked fine on my 3550, which is virtually identical to your 3580. Here's a copy of the exact procedure, as posted in that thread.

I just took the 3550 for a drive and can confirm that setting it to Australia will allow the display of the current street at the top of the screen. It will also give you a new item on the Map and Vehicle menu to disable auto zoom. I have been using both a Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 in this mode for a year and haven't found any problems. My 3550 is a 2012 model like your 2555 so I think it will be the same. Here's what you would do.

1) Backup your favorites and perform a hard reset as described here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/

2) Choose Australia as your location when the Nuvi restarts

3) Go to the Language menu and choose American English for Text and keyboard. You might also want to change the voice.

4) Go to the units and time menu and choose 12-hour time and units as Miles.

5) Restore any other personal menu preferences (the reset returns everything to the default)

6) Restore your favorites (see: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17731/x/p1/)

Here are a few screenshots to show what you will get.

• hi all can anybody find me an 8410 navigon gps please with full european mapping help
  • Thanks Boyd
    I did exactly as suggested but I had no success.....Thanks for your efforts

Ron
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Can you be more specific as to what didn't work?...
  • Hi Boyd
    I am very pleased that you are taking an interest . Appreciate that very much.... I did the hard reset, succeeded in reaching the "Clear all data", rebooted and selected Australia, the only thing that I changed was the 24 hour to 12 hour.
    I then punched in a destination and went for a ride..... Did not notice any difference.....
    Please advise
    Ron
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    OK, I see. I'm afraid you misunderstood my first post. I pointed out that 2013 models added a special field that always shows the street name, and there is no way to add that specific feature to your nuvi.

What you can do is change the behavior of your nuvi such that it shows the name of the current street in the green bar at the top of the screen. So this trick works while you're just driving around, without any route entered. When you go to "where to" and enter a destination, the behavior changes such that driving directions are shown in the green bar. This means you will no longer see the current street in the green bar.

Unfortunately this brings us back to my earlier suggestion, that you will need to buy a new model if you really need this feature. :(
  • I think I will upgrade to a 7" screen.....The eyes are not as good as they used to be... the bigger the better works for me lol