This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Montana 610

I have been looking at the Garmin Montana 610 for my husband for Christmas. He would like one that he can use while snowmobiling, and specifically, one that will track his route as he is riding. I am having a hard time figuring out whether this GPS model can do that! Can anyone help me? THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Yes it can, lucky man :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited December 2015
    Yes the Montana can do this. I have the previous model, the 600, and it's a great GPS. However, you should be aware that just about any GPS can track your position as you ride, and the Montana is one of the most expensive options. To make a good decision you need to consider many other factors

Do you need maps? If so, what kind and what region?
    Do you need satellite imagery?
    How big a screen do you need?
    How will you mount it on the snowmobile?
    Will a touchscreen device be hard to use while wearing gloves?

These things are discussed at length here and on other forums. You might also consider a gift card for a place that sells the Montana and other devices, so that your husband can make these complicated decisions himself. It would be a shame to spend that much on a Montana and learn later that he finds it difficult to use with gloves (for example). Also realize that the basic GPS doesn't include maps. Depending on what your husband wants, he might need to spend $100 or more to end up with a really useful solution.
  • Boyd,

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions to other types? I will look into the other discussions, but if you have any that would be great!

Also, when you say "However, you should be aware that just about any GPS can track your position as you ride" do you also mean tracking his position only? Or tracking is path as he is riding? (He wants the latter in case he ever gets lost, and he can see how to get back.)

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited December 2015
    I think every Garmin handheld device will 'track his path' to use your terms, so yes he'll be able to follow it back to where he started should he need to do so.
  • Thank you sussamb!
  • alanb 539 Points
    Just my bias showing through, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Montana ... what a great gift! Maybe I could introduce you to my wife? :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But I don't ride snowmobiles. The "push button vs touchscreen" debate can be very spirited. I think some people would be unhappy with any touchscreen gps, and that could create an awkward situation when your spouse just spent a lot of money on a gift.

• sussamb 813 Points
    While I prefer buttons when hiking I think being on a vibrating snowmobile is going to need the bigger screen of the Montana, and there is no push button option with that size screen.

I guess provided there is a receipt it could always be changed afterwards, my wife seems to constantly take stuff back :))
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    As does mine. :/

As an aside I'm researching marine gps again at the moment. Not a whole lotta snow down here in Florida ( and anywhere else on the East Coast for that matter)