This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

CN NA 2017.10

In a weird change to their system Garmin have just released CN NA 2017.10

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited January 2016
    That's odd. Could it mean there will only be one or two updates per year now?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Time for Boyd to update... :-bd
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Ugh, that is always painful on my DSL line. As far as I'm concerned, I would be fine with one update per year. Instead of my maps being 8 versions old, they would only be 2 versions old. :))
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I just updated to 2017.10 on my 2699LMTHD and at first I thought Gamin broke or at least changed how a map route responds to previously saved Custom Avoidance roads. I have a custom avoid road section thru Philadelphia that I have been using successfully for several past map updates. Now the same saved route completely ignores the custom avoid. I set up a new avoid for the same road and had to zoom in all the way to fine tune the placement of the start and end points to get it to work. Perhaps there was new road construction in the avoided area that I am unaware of hence the broken avoidance. Or there were updated location coordinates in this map update. :-??

I am curious if anyone knows what effect the shaded circle around the red push pin that is used to pinpoint the start and end points of the avoid has on the placement. In my case the shaded circle actually touched two interstate roads that diverge. The push pin point was, I thought, placed appropriately. The point is where I-76 and I-676 split. (aka as the Vine St. Expy). I believe I ended up getting the avoid to work by shifting the shaded circle away from touching I-76 (which is the road I want to stay on).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited January 2016
    I don't know the effect of the shaded area around the push pin but I do know that I've seen streets/roads "shift" slightly and periodically between map versions. This was back when I was running Windows along with the "old" version of MapSource (I'm on Mac now and don't run BaseCamp). With the older versions of MapSource, one could have many different versions of City Navigator installed and you could cycle through them very quickly via a drop-down map selector (I don't know if you can still do this with BaseCamp). Doing this while watching the streets, one could see the streets "shift" slightly in some areas depending on the map version.

It could be that the street/road where you initially marked the avoidance has shifted slightly...maybe the position was at the borderline of being "on" the street and "off" the street and this newest map update had this slight shift, thus throwing off your avoidance.
  • menhir 112 Points
    edited January 2016
    My Nuvi550's current map is CN NA NT 2016.20. (I double checked)
    I saw the update notice here, but when I plugged into Garmin using the GarminMapUpdate I received a message that my map was current.

What's up with that?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It seems MapUpdater may no longer work with this map so you may need to use Express
  • menhir 112 Points
    That'd be a problem.

Express has been telling me for the last several years that I don't have enough memory on the device for any map updates. This has been true even up to my most recent update not long ago.

I've been forced to used MapUpdater all this time because it always seems to find the space that Express says isn't there. :(

I'll try again using Express time and report back.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I'll repost this here since it's in the 2017.1 topic:

It's been reported on another GPS forum that MapUpdater is now seeing/installing 2017.10. I can't attest to the validity of that single report but it may be worth trying the update again using MapUpdater. If indeed working, this will be good news for those refusing to use GarminExpress.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Another report (by the same person) states that MapUpdater is fully working as it should.
  • menhir 112 Points
    edited January 2016
    Reporting back...

Express again states that there is not enough space to download the maps. Nothing new there.

But as I was ready to post that little tidbit, I saw SergZak's reply that MapUpdater was now seeing the new update, so....

I went back to MapUpdater and sure enough, the new update is now showing, it found the enough space, and it's now loading on my device.

Thanks!

As an aside...I'm aware that my 550 is pretty much redlining as far as available space goes. I think it's about 97% full. I installed an SD card when I first bought it years ago but I'm not sure how to get it to work with the updates. I got some researchin' and learnin' to do.
    I like my 550 for my motorcycle travels and I want to keep it running as long as possible. :)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @Serg - Thanks. Your shifting streets explanation makes sense. My "new" avoid worked well today. So, a word to the wise, check your road avoids before you hit the road after each new map update. :-O
  • sussamb said:

It seems MapUpdater may no longer work with this map so you may need to use Express

Mapupdater worked fine for me with the Nuvi 550. I use Mapupdater to down load the up date to my XP laptop only. Then use mapinstaller to send the up date to a SD card to avoid the not enough room. Bit of a pita but works since Garmin will no longer let me use GE with XP. May be a good thing is my old XP machine is on its waaaaaaay out slowly.

• menhir 112 Points
    A little follow-up.

While I was updating the maps on my wife's new Garmin, Express stated that there was an update for my old Nuvi550, too.

As I previously posted, I had already just updated the 550 on Map Updater. Express hasn't worked on the 550 for years...always stating that there wasn't enough room. I know they're not updating the firmware for the 550 either....but I was curious...

So I plugged my device expecting another "not enough room" response and....Express installed (reinstalled) the latest map without a hitch.

Weird. Do you think they got around to fixing Express?
  • I just used GE the other day on a win 10 machine to up date the time zone patch to the nuvi 550.