This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need recommendation for new unit with better School Zone Alerts

Hi,
my first post. I have had a Garmin Nüvi 1690 for several years now and recently purchased School Zone Alerts for it, but the alert is not very eye-catching. I'd like a much more visible, perhaps customizable alert.

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but here are other considerations:
I drive in Canada and the US.
I'd like a 5" or larger screen; I have big hands and aging eyes.
I like to see the current speed (I use several vehicles, so this is useful to have always visible).
I'd like to see the current time.
If I'm in the mountains, I like to see the current elevation.
I'd like to see the distance to the destination
And I'd like to see the estimated time of arrival.
No cellular data.

Any assistance is appreciated!
Patrick

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Most if not all of the current nuvis will do what you want. School zones are announced with a banner across top of screen and a warning tone. Data fields can be set up on the right giving 4 changeable fields.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited January 2016
    For further info here is a screen shot of my 2508, which is a 2013 model. Those and all the later ones should be able to be configured this way:

• Hi sussamb, thank you for your help! Your Garmin shows more info than mine; I like it.

But about how big is the school zone alert banner? My current Garmin has a small grey banner that doesn't stand out.
    Patrick
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited January 2016
    It fills the top where you can see the next turn shown, I'll try to get a screenshot ... will have to post it later, photobucket is down for maintenance!!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited January 2016
    Photobucket is still down so here's a link to a dropbox file that shows the school zone banner, hope that helps

https://dropbox.com/s/yz0256pg4kady65/Capture.png?dl=0
  • Thanks sussamb; the picture is really helpful.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited January 2016
    Here's the screenshot

• Thanks! Now to decide which Garmin. I see Garmin's with two digit model numbers, and some with four digits. I assume if I don't require the pinch-to-zoom, then the size and price is more significant than two or four digit models?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Not sure what you mean by that. You'll need to decide what other features are important to you and make a decision based on that.
  • Ok, thanks again!