This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan SmartGPS RM5295T-LMB antenna problem

Hi guys,
This is my first post. I have been using Magellan GPS since 2003. I owned about 13 or 15 units during all these years. Here is my problem with the SmartGPS. In the last 4 years, I have been the same problem with this unit because of the battery problem. In their website, it is stated that the battery lasts 90 minutes, but this is not true. After a full charge, as soon as I unplug it, it dies after 10 minutes. I had the same problem with 5 SmartGPS units. Since my 4th one, I was still having the same problem, with another serious problem. Cannot acquire satellite signal. No matter what I did, no way to get the signal. It just loops "Acquiring satellite signal" I did too many resets, nothing worked. So right now, I'm stuck with a fifth SmartGPS unit with the two problems. As for the battery, I don't mind it because I always plug it in to the car charger, but the serious problem is the signal. No I can't return it because it is out of warranty. Is there a way to fix this problem?
Thanks,
Optimus.
PS: Last time I talked to their CS, they told me since I am a loyal customer, I am entitled to a unit of my choice with 30% off, but I have to send them the non-working unit back. 30%!! I can have one with 40%!! Right now the unit is disassembled and trying to fix it. Stay away from SmartGPS model.

Comments

• I have two of the SmartGPS RM5295T-LMB units. I have had nothing but problems. Magellan support told me in an email a couple of days past that all of these units are having SAT antenna problems and are not acquiring the signal.
    Also I have one unit that will not power on. I have charged it in every conceivable way and nothing.
    However, it most likely doesn’t matter as it can’t navigate without the SAT signal.
    It is time for Magellan to step up and recall these units and repair or replace. I have been a Magellan customer for 20 plus years but I am now looking for a much more reliable brand. Suggestions appreciated.
  • alanb 555 Points
    edited December 2019
    Dedicated navigation devices are in sharp decline with most users favoring smart phone navigation apps. For dedicated car navigation devices in North America, Garmin still leads the pack with their Drive/DriveSmart series with TomTom and Magellan as distant (in market share) alternatives. I have always used Garmins … I have 7 of them (2008 nuvi 755 is the oldest) and they all still work well.
  • Boyd 1998 Points
    edited December 2019
    I think Garmin is really the best choice today. I still have a Magellan Roadmate 1700, which I was never impressed with. Had a Maestro 5250 (?) before that. And I still have a Magellan Triton 1500 handheld, but it's dead now as the result of leaking batteries that I forgot to remove. Really, the only attraction of any of these was the fact they all run Windows CE, which can be "unlocked" to allow the use of alternative software. I was running OziExplorer CE on all of those devices.

I also had a couple Tom-Tom automotive devices, and they were better quality than Magellan, with nicer software. Have not really kept up with the newer models.

Anyway... your timing is really bad. All last week there were some very nice sales on Garmin automotive devices, but they all ended yesterday (following "Cyber Monday". Factory refurb Garmin devices are usually good deals, they are brought up to spec by Garmin and are sold with the same one-year warranty as new models, so keep an eye out for deals on these.
  • alanb 555 Points
    edited December 2019
    theGPSstore.com still has the Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S refurbished in stock for the price of $99.95. I bought one of these about 6 weeks ago when the price was $129.95. The first one I received failed after one day, but theGPSstore replaced it including the cost for the return shipping. I have been using the replacement as my daily driver for about a month. It is working great.