This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

seconds with 3 digits not decimals

Hi
I've found in two occasions on publications coordinates with 3 digits on seconds (not 2 integers and one decimal). For instance, I have in one case 71 degrees 08 minutes 769 seconds. I would like to change it to degrees and decimals but all converters don't accept 3 digits without decimals. Do you know what should I do? Thanks! Cesar

Comments

• alanb 541 Points
    Since 60 seconds is 1 minute, the value of seconds in coordinates should always be between 0 and 60. 769 seconds is actually 12 minutes and 49 seconds.
  • privet01 221 Points
    edited February 2016
    Are you sure it's not degrees with decimal minutes?
    The format would be DDD° MM.MMM' and would look like this with actual numbers.
    32° 18.385' N 122° 36.875' W

This is the most typical format though for most GPS users.... I think. I was not quite sure from your post whether you are wanting purely decimal degrees which is this format, DDD.DDDDD° and an actual coordinate may look like this 32.30642° N 122.61458° W or +32.30642, -122.61458

If you can copy/paste an actual example of the coordinate you are asking about it will be helpful. It may not even be lat/long. There are other ways to express location coordinates.

• Cesar 0 Points
    Thanks a lot for your comments! I did what alanb suggested.
    This is the example: 31°37′056′′S, 71°08′769′′W
    Have a good day!
  • privet01 221 Points
    Just be sure that the location you calculate by attempting to correct the minutes and seconds is correctly marking the location you really want to go to.

Although I can see the possibility of some programming glitch that might not handle seconds correctly, I would think it more likely that someone is incorrectly displaying decimal minutes as minutes and seconds.