This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Map update involves Express and MapInstall

I recently launched Garmin Express, in order to update my North American map. Express told me that it could not install the map directly onto my device - but that it would download it to my computer, and I could use MapInstall to install the map onto my device. This, I did.

Question one:
does anyone know why Express – in this case – could not install the map directly onto my device?

Now, I find two NA maps on my device:
CN North America NT 2017.10
WESTERN ALASKA, EASTERN ALASKA, CAYMAN ISLANDS, GR
and
CN North America NT 2016.20
WESTERN ALASKA, EASTERN ALASKA, HONOLULU, HAWAII,

When Express installs a map onto a device, it deletes the older version of that map. Does MapInstall work differently – in that it does not delete older versions?

Question two:
can I simply delete the 2016 version of the NA map? (I'm "sure" the answer is "Yes" - but...)

Question three:
what is the meaning/significance of these place names (WESTERN ALASKA, etc.) in the NA maps designation?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Not sure which device you have but normally without sufficient room Express would offer the SD card option, but not all devices can do that.

MapInstall will delete maps if you select appropriately and if they are on your PC.

Yes, you can simply delete the older map.

As for the names in the NA map name, that's just the way Garmin do it when installing part sets using MapInstall.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    This device is the 3597.
    Express has never asked about the install location - because(?) I had the map on an sd card, and it wouldn't fit in internal memory, anyway. So it knows where it must be installed! And - in the past - hasn't asked about the install location, and just installed onto the sd card.

The Express message said nothing about file-size, space, or location. It simply said that it couldn't install directly onto the device.
    This - requiring MapInstall - is a first; I don't get it.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    That is strange. Is it possible you've changed the map file names as that will confuse Express?

I'd remove the card and then run Express. Only insert the card when asked.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    " Is it possible you've changed the map file names as that will confuse Express?"
    -- No way (José).

"I'd remove the card and then run Express. Only insert the card when asked."
    -- Appreciate that - but have no desire to mess with the set-up now. The map's been installed - and I see no need for that.

Thanks, sussamb.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Ah - perhaps!
    I did change the name of the card.
    Maybe, baby?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Oh yes .... :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Oh, no. ;))
    Thanks.
  • alanb 541 Points
    edited February 2016
    On a 3597, the full NA map and all associated support files should fit in internal storage, unless you have some other large map (like Europe) installed. In general, you do not want to use MapInstall because it does not install the support files like junction view, voice recognition, 3D, etc.

It sounds to me like you may have some orphaned map files from older map versions stuck on your nuvi storage. This is usually caused by doing non-standard map update processes, although some older versions of Garmin Express had some bugs that would not correctly delete all the old map files. In any case, you need to get these orphaned files cleaned out, then reinstall the full NA map with Garmin Express.

The folders where you may find orphaned files are \.system, \.system\JCV, \.system\ASR, \.system\SID, \Map, \.system\SQLite. You may be able to go by file names, dates and sizes to help determine which files need to go. BUT, as always, make a full backup of your device before you start deleting anything!
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    My NA map is an additional map - not pre-loaded. So I don't have all those associated files.
    And I chose to put it on an sd card - originally because my pre-loaded map was huge: full Europe. So I think that I'll be fine, just to delete the map that has the 2016 date.
    Agreed?

Now, both maps are on sd cards: one for each map. I haven't ever had any problems with this set-up.
    At some point - rightly or wrongly - Express told me that my full coverage of Europe (which is big) would no longer fit in internal storage. So I went for each map installed on its own sd card.
  • alanb 541 Points
    OK, that explains why you are using the procedures you are.