This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Where art thou, map?

I have a fully-functioning nuvi 3590 with the full map of Europe.
The only thing is: where's the map?

photo Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 18.15.13_zps7rzbsdn6.png

photo Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 18.15.55_zps7pskpejw.png

You see a map? I don't.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited February 2016
    If it was the primary (originally installed) map on the device, it will be inside the hidden .System folder, as we have discussed at length here. If you don't know how to access the hidden folder, see this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

There are a number of files in the hidden folder, but gmapprom.img is City Navigator. gmapdem.img provides the 3d terrain and gmap3d.img contains the 3d buildings.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Got it - with reservations!

It was the primary (originally installed) map on the device, Here is the relevant content (maps) in the .system folder:
    photo Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 17.58.25_zpsp3id9tue.jpg
    These files (filenames) don't exactly match those given by you, but...they are equivalent?
    If "yes", why do they differ? Age?

And:
    I also have a 3597 - which came with the same (full European) map pre-installed. Current version:
    CN Europe NTU/2016.30 ALL

At some point - a couple of years ago - Express told me that the current update could no longer fit in internal memory. So I got an sd card, and installed that new map version on the card for the 3597.
    I assumed that - if the map couldn't fit in the internal memory of the 3597 - it also couldn't fit in the 3590's internal memory. So I bought an sd card for that device, too. But now I see that that card is empty, except for a tiny .txt file. And the map(s) are in internal memory - as you pointed out.

How is that? The 3597 has more "stuff" on it - by default - and so has less space for map updates?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The .gma and .unl files are used for copy protection of the main files I listed above. gmaptz.img is a map of time zones, so the Nuvi can provide the correct arrival time when you cross a boundary. gmapbmap.img is the basemap - a very crude map of the whole world.

As for the rest, I dunno since I don't have a 3597. :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    Gmap3d.img contains the 3d building footprints and images.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited February 2016
    If your Nuvi supports 3D Buildings display, which I believe both the 3590 and 3597 do, then you seem to be missing at least one map file. You list the gmap3d.gma and gmap3d.unl files but in order to display 3D buildings you'd also need the actual .img file which is called gmap3d.img. The current size of that file (on my 3597) is 233996 KB.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited February 2016
    Doesn't the 3590 also support the gmapdem.img 3d terrain views? If so you would also be missing that map. I know for the North America map, if you use Garmin MapUpdater instead of Garmin Express, you can lose the gmapdem.img file during a map update. I'm not sure if that is a problem with the Europe map though.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks, guys.
    Clearly(?), I'm missing a couple of maps:
    gmap3d.img and
    gmapdem.img

In an attempt to get them, should I launch Express and choose to re-install the map that is currently on my device? I think that that is the only way, no?
    And if that doesn't work, then I'm somehow not entitled to those maps? Honestly, that won't worry me - not for that (back-up) device, and not for those particular features (3D buildings and terrain); I can do without them.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited February 2016
    Yes, that is the way I would proceed. You should be entitled to those maps assuming the 3590 supports them. I think it does, but I don't have that particular model. If Express doesn't resolve it, I would call Garmin support and ask.

Note that these maps are only supported on the primary map that was preinstalled on your device. So if you add North America to a Europe device, you will not get these files on the NA map.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I will give it a shot - but not tonight.
    The primary map on this device - 3590 - is the full EU map. It is also the only map ever installed on this device.

Thanks for your help - and I'll post back with the results.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, as I stated in my first post, gmap3d.img and gmapdem.img are both used on the 35x0 series (I have a 3550). They are, of course, optional. The gmapdem.img North America file is rather large, about 1GB IIRC. Don't know how big the EU version is, but make sure you have plenty of space.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Well - as I said - I have a completely empty sd card (8GB) hungry for data!
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Report:
    Attaching the 3590 gives this: Map: Full Coverage of Europe 2016.30.
    Selecting Reinstall the map that is currently loaded on this device results - after quite some time - "There was an error installing the update."

When "finished" however,, this is now loaded into the .system folder:
    photo Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 14.42.58_zps3jcrpqps.png
    As you can see, I've gained the 3d terrain map (gmapdem.img) - but not the 3D buildings map.
    The 3590 now reports these in myMaps:
    CN Europe NTU 2016.30 ALL
    Europe DEM

Of course, I don't know why I'm not getting access to the 3D buildings map - and don't know why it isn't installed in the first place.
    I still have an empty sd card in the slot, but Express isn't asking about it, isn't using it, isn't telling me that I don't have enough room,..
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited February 2016
    How much free space is showing for your 3590. I have never completely trusted Garmin Express to correctly assess whether you have sufficient space.

One thing you could do is use a memory stick or SD reader with cloning to install the full map and all support files directly to the stick or card. Then you can manually check the 3590 space to see if there is room to hold all the files. If there is, you can manually copy the files from the stick or card over to the nuvi.

Note that it can be a little tricky when manually deleting the old files off the nuvi before you copy the new files over from the clone. The map files themselves have known names (like gmapprom, gmapdem, etc.) But some of the support files like the .ASR, .JCV and .SID files get new names with each map update. So you have to figure out which old files they replace and delete the old files before copying in the new files. If you don't do this you end up with orphaned files taking up unnecessary space.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I have never completely trusted Garmin Express to correctly do anything. Garmin writes buggy software.

@alanb,
    Thanks for the "tutorial", but I'm not going to go through with it. The 3590 is simply a back-up device; it's never been used since my purchase of the 3597. Applying the quarterly (or whatever it is now, or will be) map updates - and therefore having an up-to-date routable map - is sufficient for me.