This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

anyone use the Monterra yet?

Hi all....I was just on the Garmin site and reading about the Monterra and thought I'd come over here and see what everyone has to say about it.

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited February 2016
    This is the most recent thing I've seen:

forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=337012&view=findpost&p=5560642

A quick search found refurbs for $410 or new ones for $650 at a popular vendor. Considering the issues and limitations (like a 480x272 screen, which is ridiculous for an Android device IMO), I will pass… ;)
  • yooper 81 Points
    Thanks Boyd. After I posted I started looking around a little and didn't really find many people that were impressed with it. I'm still chuggin' along with my 60CSX and like it. It get a little cumbersome using the pointer to move the map around so I was looking to see what else was out there.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    If you want a Garmin handheld, I think the Montana is probably the best bet, or the Oregon 6xx series if you want something smaller.

OTOH, if you also have a smartphone, you might also wonder if you need a dedicated GPS. ;)
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    yooper said:

Thanks Boyd. After I posted I started looking around a little and didn't really find many people that were impressed with it. I'm still chuggin' along with my 60CSX and like it. It get a little cumbersome using the pointer to move the map around so I was looking to see what else was out there.

I've owned 2 Montana's...the 2nd one is the 610T with Glonass which is much more accurate in the tracks and data it records I've found out. Just finished a 3.8 mile and 1600 ft climb on Mt. Black... Nice clean track again. I've done a Mountain every weekend this fall and winter and it out passes the non Glonass. I've compared tracks on the same hikes with same setup carry,etc.made with the non glonass Montana.. Sold the non one a while ago..
    Now I've just bought a Monterra to check out and probably use just for snowmobileing due to the brighter screen it's supposed to have. I would try it for hiking but there is no external antenna jack so I won't use it. I'm anal on recording clean data on my hikes.
    You'll probably hear from me at some point on the Monterra.

• truckinguy 110 Points
    Well I just got the Monterra...2 days ago... I love it... wish it had some features of the Montana like large icons and beeps when you shut down, or battery low but it's an amazing unit... also wish it had an external antenna jack but I can live with it.
    I used it on a long hike and it performed flawless. Used very little battery. Which is great as some posted it was a hog. Well that can be by running things loosely.
    I don't use the wi fi or google,etc. but I wanted a great screen and menu options. Also the processor seems faster then the Montana which has been nice.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited April 2016
    That is good to hear, will be interested in how you like it after a few more weeks. I have seen refurbs advertised in the $400 to $450 range. That's pretty pricey, but still in the Montana ballpark. At $650 for a new one…. no way. ;)
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    edited April 2016
    I may be keeping this one. After living with it for hours on hours and having a good hike into the wilderness I'm Impressed. I may go back in time to Montana 610 who knows. But I know what I want/like in a gps and have hiked good and played with it alot. Still the Montana 610T is a heck of a unit with Glonass..i've been comparing old tracks and find
    the combo so much more accurate all and all from start to finish. Including were I usually sit for lunch..the points are grouped much tighter.
    I own Android phones so I've been playing with it in the house a lot since the long hike and got it down pretty good.... used the wi fi to update the software on it. But I don't use google etc. yet... I'm still focusing on the garmin apps only.. I don't have cell were I go most of the time. I think the screen is brighter and more responsive..probably because of the processor...
    Some said the Android is out of date etc. but it makes using this unit nice over non android Montana.
    Found you can make short cut's of some of the settings for the home screens.
    I love the push of the power button and you have a choice to lock the screen and have it in sleep mode. Nothing will disturb it. The display will stay down or out if you want . And it still keeps recording or running. The camera is ok. I have a great Olympus that may be better but I'll try more stuff and see.. gpscity has a great how to on the camera.
    Hard to find a lot on for reviews,etc. it as that goes for a lot of gpsr's... I hope they keep updating the unit. I'm glad I didn't buy it back in 2013...lot's of fixes have been done..
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Still loving this unit.... did a 7 mile hike with near 2000 ft gain.. the glonass is so awesome... so right on under tree cover and while climbing up rocks etc. No external antenna as well but have been getting perfect tracks..no jumps at all.. set to drop a track every 3 seconds..
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    I found I missed the icon's on the Montana...so I found the app Apex Launcher that works well with the Monterra in enlarging the icons and other options/settings for android making the Monterra for me the "cat's meow"... very responsive screen and processor it seems...
    No bugs I can see.... it's a fine piece... and don't know if the Montana has the MK333 chipset but it makes the Monterra very very accurate and track able without an external antenna on my mountain hikes.
    One note I can't seem to get it to do a screen shot..Garmin said press the power button and volume at the same time but can't get it to do it.
    More to come..
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Update on the Monterra... amazing unit... have been using it every weekend since last post in April. Hiked many miles up mountains and along rivers into the wilderness.. goes all day without much battery use at all. With Glonass extremly accurate and never loses sat's being I carry it in a pouch out front on my pack chest strap. I climb hands and knees up some rock ledges as well with no skipped or off shoots on my tracks.
    The screen is so bright in the sunlight. So much better in the sun and dark then the Montana or Oregon. Very easy to use and setup. Screen shot works well once I knew how to do it. I bought Apex Launcher for Android and this allows larger icons and other things which makes the Monterra A1.. no bugs or issues with Apex Launcher.
    What ever issues were there before this summer with the Monterra they are gone as far as I can see. I've put in many hours setting it up different ways and on site use and no crashes or whatever. It's a keeper and won't go back to Montana. I don't have much need for Google or email or the bluetooth and use just gps basically like the Montana uses. I like the screen, ease of use, menu options, etc mentioned above. Probably some other things..