This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can I get lLifetime NA maps for a Lifetime EU unit?

With a EU version of a Garmin 590LMT I was told I can get North America maps for it. Is there a way to buy lifetime maps for it? I can't find where, if possible. The Garmin buy-it page that I found for lifetime NA maps says it is not for EU units with lifetime EU maps on them.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    That is a tricky question at this point. In the past, the only way to purchase lifetime maps for another country was to buy the DVD version. You could then add the lifetime subscription through the separate purchase of a lifetime update card:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={42924db0-131c-11de-76c5-000000000000}

But it appears Garmin is in the process of phasing out DVD versions of their maps. We discussed this awhile ago because a FAQ at Garmin support was no longer showing DVD versions, but at that time you could still purchase them from their online store. Looking just now, Garmin is no longer offering the option to buy City Navigator North America on DVD however

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456.html

You definitely cannot update either the downloadable or SD card versions of City Navigator. Now you might be able to find the DVD through other vendors, but it would probably not be the newest map. However, if you can still add a lifetime update then that wouldn't be an issue. I'm just not certain whether this still works however, and you could get stuck with an old version on DVD with no way to update.

You could contact Garmin support and see what they say, but their representatives have given conflicting answers on this sort of thing in the past…. X(
  • shorton 31 Points
    :( Thanks for the info. I sent them an Email, will see what they say...
  • alanb 539 Points
    Email is good ... calling them directly would be better.
  • shorton 31 Points
    Roger, wilco
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Not sure if I agree in this case @alanb… Let's say they tell you it is possible to upgrade and you purchase the DVD, but then the upgrade card doesn't work. In that case, I would want to have a written record of their response so I could ask for a refund. :)

Also, make sure you find a place that still sells the DVD's (new and unopened) or the whole point is moot.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Good point Boyd.