This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Senior Friendly w/custom route capabilites?

Hi All: I am looking for a GPS device for an older gentleman who is traveling cross country. He is not computer saavy and does not have a smart phone. I want to get him a GPS and program his route, avoiding certain major cities by driving a customized route. I would like to get the unit, program it, and then mail it to him ready to go. He has made the trip solo several times over the years, but he gets flustered when a turn comes up and has missed some and had to double back. I don't want to spend over $150. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2016
    Pretty much any Garmin nuvi or Drive device with the trip planner feature will do this. That would include all the models in the new "Drive" line and all the 2015 nuvi models, plus many of the earlier models. There are many of these models that would be within your price range, either new or refurbished. Just make sure the spec's on the Garmin site say "Trip Planner: Yes" for the model you choose. Don't avoid the older Garmin nuvi factory refurb models. They are like new and have the same warranty as a new device. Often, you can get a 2 or 3 year old high end refurbished model for the same price as a new bottom-of-the-line model, and get a much better device with more features.

Just as an example, I looked on Amazon and saw a Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT 6" Bluetooth GPS w/ Lifetime Maps & Traffic - (Certified Refurbished) for $143.37, sold by PrimeDeal and fulfilled by Amazon. If you search you can find many other models in the $100 to $150 price range.

If you narrow your choices down to 3 or 4 models, post back and we can give more detailed opinions about those specific models.
  • SE0607 2 Points
    Thanks alanb! I love refurbs. Where can I find them? Amazon?
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2016
    I have personally purchased Garmin refurbs online from theGPSstore.com and had a good experience with them. You can find refurbs from many sites including Amazon and sometimes even at Walmart. I edited my above post showing one model I found on Amazon just doing a quick search.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Two of the reasons I cited the nuvi 2689 in the example in my earlier post are 1) 6 inch screen and 2) real directions feature. I thought the larger screen and the real directions feature might be helpful for an older person (like me).

Here is a snippet from a Garmin FAQ that explains what the Real Directions feature can add to the navigation prompting
    Example:

Without Garmin Real Directions: "In 500 feet, turn right at Metcalf Avenue."
    With Garmin Real Directions: "In 500 feet, be in either of the two right lanes, then turn right at the stoplight."
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2016
    GPSCity is another source for refurbs. Just shop around a bit and see what you find. But be certain that you understand the vendor's return/exchange policy.

Now regarding your plan, it's great that you want to help this person. But just be sure it doesn't backfire… There's a good chance that something will happen along the way that requires him to interact with the GPS and make choices/adjustments. If he is not good with technology, this can be confusing and frustrating.

• SE0607 2 Points
    Okay. I just ordered the 2689! Boyd, I appreciate what you posted. I am going to try it out before I send it to him to see if it's even something he can handle. He is teachable. He bought a laptop in 2011 suddenly at the age of 72 and does pretty well with it, although there are many things he cannot do without my instructions. I figure if the GPS helps even a little, it will be better than nothing. If it's a failure, no big deal, I will just have to ride along with him until I can convince him to fly out west each winter and back home each spring. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • alanb 539 Points
    He isn't much older than me (I am 69). Unless he is stubborn against trying something new, I think he will learn to love it. I know as I get older and am less confident about my driving ability, I find the GPS takes a lot of stress out of driving on long trips. Even when I miss a turn, I don't panic, knowing that my good ol' Garmin will just recalculate and get me to my destination. Never lost, just redirected and maybe a little late :)
  • privet01 221 Points
    edited March 2016
    IMO, the thing he or anyone using a GPS needs to realize is it's not necessarily going to pick what is the best route for any particular persons preferences. But it will get you a route that is reasonable and efficient.

For missed exits in a totally unfamiliar area, they can be a blessing, but for areas you have a familiarity with, they sometimes cause more angst when instinct tells you there is a better way.

I do agree that almost any cheap GPS will do the job. The more expensive models are really just for those that want more advanced features. Typically the more advanced features are for the OCD among us. <<grin>>
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    SE0607: I’ve read through this discussion and strongly recommend against the entire plan for buying, programming, and sending a Nuvi to a totally novice user…to travel cross country. There are many dozens of issues that could arise and bring grief to your friend. My best advice is to help him practice using the Nuvi well beforehand (by phone instruction), and for you to be prepared for him to phone you repeatedly during his trip to ask “what do I do now?”

I am now 69, and am on my third Nuvi in about 7 years. I absolutely love them, but have a lot of experience in learning to use them (much like super-helpful poster “alanb,” whose comments I have been following for these 7 years, in multiple gps forums!): I currently own the virtually identical Nuvi 2699 counterpart of your proposed Nuvi. The most important thing that could go wrong…is just about anything and everything! I have read literally thousands of Nuvi user reviews, comments, and “how-to” inquiries about issues “newbies” have in learning to use or understanding why their unit doesn’t operate as expected. Some units are simply defective from the factory, and others become faulty during operation, or are “goofed up” due to apparent operator error. Even persons who download and read the Nuvi online manuals (poorly written) have tons of problems understanding certain “how to’s” (including Yours Truly, initially, with each of my units).

I have given extensive one-on-one, hands-on, instruction to two friends with Nuvis, lasting about an hour each, and know that there is a lot that must be demonstrated multiple times before users seem to understand: With experience, they are now comfortable using their Nuvis. But to expect that a senior, who is not familiar with modern electronic devices, to learn his Nuvi practically “right out of the mailbox,” is unreasonable. Sure, he now can use a laptop, but probably after a significant number of lessons from friends (either in person, or over the phone with SE0607…), and probably over many months and trial and errors. And that might have gotten him to a barely acceptable level of using email and internet surfing.

BUT I cannot imagine turning a friend loose with the Nuvi and expecting that he can operate it day after day, over several thousand miles, without making multiple operator errors and being repeatedly confused and/or lost. Here is perhaps the first thing that could cause difficulty: Where and How will the Nuvi be mounted? You can read forum comments now, and learn the problems of just decising where to mount a gps: On the windshield (illegal in some states), or on a special clip on the dashboard heating grille? [I strongly prefer a clip, inside the grille, because it is much easier to read (since its close to my eyes), as well as place on the mount and use the touchscreen.] A second elemental problem is whether he will be careful enough to remove the Nuvi from the mount with EACH exit from the car, to prevent theft; and then be comfortable with re-mounting the Nuvi 2689 with EACH return to the car. [NOTE: It’s not always easy, and even I get frustrated sometimes!] It is all too easy for newbies to insist on leaving the Nuvi in the car, in plain sight, regardless of its attractiveness to thieves. How’s that for two difficulties your friend might have to overcome, and that’s before he even starts up the car?!? I’m sorry if it seems I am putting too many obstacles in the way of your plan, but they are there and will have to be faced. I have never read before in any gps forum of a plan such as yours, and I wouldn't be spending all this effort to help if I didn't think this information is truly important.

Bigger Issues are Certain to Follow. Sure, he can follow a route along all the interstates, but just making a minor mistake getting back on a freeway from the back of an overnight motel or restaurant, could lead to his misunderstanding about a missed turn, or frustration with just about any instruction or map diagram, and multiple phone calls to you seeking help. Given all the user complaints I have read of, I cannot imagine your friend not experiencing tons of problems himself…and trying to figure things out either while driving (yikes!) or even at the side of the road, and being instructed over a cellphone on what to do to correct things RIGHT THEN…and try to continue his journey. My prediction is that said friend may well get confused, exasperated, and lost on the very first day…and turn it off in frustration…and resort to doing his best to drive using roadmaps (which is a far more reasonable hope for crossing the country to your home). Hey, be sure to insist that he carry a good Rand McNally Road Atlas, for when disaster strikes!

Just in case you think that I may be exaggerating all that could go wrong on your friend’s journey, take a look at Amazon reviews for ANY model Nuvi (scroll through 20 or 30 or 50 of them), and you will have a glimmer of the problems that new owners experience (and many who return their Nuvis out of frustration). You could also simply scroll through recent posts in this forum. Please remember that these are folks writing their complaints on computer in the comfort of their homes…and not while parked at the side of a busy highway or poking at their Nuvis while sitting in a motel parking lot: HELP Me Right NOW, What Have I Done Wrong!

One simple example of my concerns would be to program a route “cross country.” I don’t know your friend’s expected driving distances, but I had no problem setting Seattle to Omaha, using the Nuvi app “Trip Planner.” Easy peasy, and it goes entirely via Interstates. Then I tried Seattle to Boston, and the Nuvi slowed to nothing several times trying to calculate. It finally got to 100% and then failed, telling me the route was too long. Gotta try something else then. Obviously, one might break the trip up into two routes, with possibly Omaha as my halfway point. However, if the friend started out at Seattle, and drove toward Omaha, but encountered some difficulty at any given overnight or dining or potty stop, and then made an inadvertent wrong turn getting back on the interstate, and compounded it by continuing to make wrong turns trying to follow the instructions, he could get totally lost. Once lost, he probably would NOT know that he could turn it off and On again, and restart that route from Trip Planner, and have it automatically find his location…and could continue his route with correct turns back to the Interstate. Too far-fetched you might think? I had a similar problem with my first Nuvi, turning too quick with each mistake, just before the map presented the correct information, before I eventually got things right. Go ahead and laugh, but I have a neighbor who used a built-in Garmin on his new car, which was programmed by the car dealer to a destination, BUT got lost just one hour from Seattle, turning around and around at a freeway intersection…before he turned it off and drove the remaining 150 miles to his destination from memory…and has never turned that gps on again. [That’s about $2,000 in gps right into the garbage can!]

I can also imagine said friend having any difficulty with the Nuvi, and perhaps being advised to “reset” the device to correct the flaw…and maybe finding his pre-programmed route(s) automatically deleted; or himself accidentally deleting a route while accessing Trip Planner to use said route. (Or, with a senior, perhaps not even being able to find Trip Planner again!) Hey, read the many user complaints, and you will realize anything can happen with a Nuvi. The only saving grace is that experienced users know how to recover and correct whatever has gone wrong…BUT that assumes that their units have not gone totally wonky during a trip, and become (according to some recent Nuvi 2689 posts) totally unusable.

You have stated that the friend does not have a “smartphone:” Does he at least have some sort of cellphone? Without that, how would he ever connect with you for HELP, especially when literally out in the proverbial “middle of nowhere?” Certainly not with roadside pay phones! Even with a cell “flip phone,” just imagine him holding the phone up to his ear, while trying to manipulate the Nuvi with the other hand: Aiieee!

Actually, I would love to read a follow-up account of your friend’s journey, relating his experiences with the Nuvi…and how he overcame or resolved whatever issues he encounters. Obviously, I have no idea of his competency in resolving electronic device issues (hey, I’m still trying to figure out most everything on my 2nd smartphone, AND its GPS navigation features!). Your friend may be quite patient and good at figuring out the Nuvi…but even then, I would be amazed that ANYBODY could accept even a pre-programmed Nuvi and drive across the country without encountering severe difficulties, and not give up and turn it off in frustration. For example, it was just last week that I first used my smartphone to navigate locally, and had to learn by trial and error…and am now glad that I have at least rudimentary competence at going from Point A to B, in case I need that feature in the future (when the Nuvi is still in my living room).

I am totally sympathetic with your desire to help a friend travel across the country, but I think that most Nuvi newbies would have difficulty completing the trip without significant frustration, let alone a senior and one who is not apparently confident at using technological devices. You can go through with your plan, but be prepared to offer frequent cellphone advice at all hours of the day(s), and with a great deal of patience explaining how to go through the various Nuvi screen menus to make course corrections and operate the device.

One absolute: He should practice as much as possible with the Nuvi LOCALLY before the trip. Gaining confidence in how well the Nuvi works should go far in his accepting and relying on the device to work well, even when he makes mistakes…and gets re-routed! If nothing else, I strongly recommend that you try to instruct him in the rudiments of using the Nuvi in his home locale, by going to/from places that he is familiar with, even though it may simply be from Home to Point A...and after that, setting his own route to Point B…and then Go Home. [It might be an adventure for both of you just to have him set the feature for “Go Home,” which can be done while standing in his driveway…it’s in the manual, and perhaps the on-board Nuvi “Help,” in Apps. Perhaps you can even pre-program some routes for him, involving local freeways, to and from stores, malls, motels, restaurants, etc., to become familiar with the various menus, operating screens, maps, voice instructions…and perhaps even to recover from various driving and routing malfunctions. Practice beforehand should only help in familiarization, especially with the Nuvi displays at freeway off-ramps, on-ramps, warnings of local street turns at “next light,” getting back onto local streets from stores and shopping mall parking lots (he might be amazed at how dependable the Nuvi can be!), various beeps for “this and that,” and heck…everything that happens on a Nuvi.

One other recommendation that he is likely to use over and over during the trip: How to restart the Nuvi back on the route, after it has been turned off overnight? Thus, his LOCAL practices should include turning the Nuvi off somewhere during a route (both completely off with a “Hard, 10-Second or so Press,”, and just temporarily “putting it to sleep” with a Light Press of the on/off button). Teach him to turn it back on, go to Trip Planner, select his listed route (and to click the Next Destination on that route), and wait for the unit to warm up and locate his current location, BEFORE starting to drive). He will need to know this procedure and use it after every Totally Off (such as overnight), and after every temporary turn off to “Sleep,” at midday stops. He must learn this to give him total confidence that he can stop anywhere, and resume driving right away, without losing his route. Once he learns this, it may even give you some hope that he can navigate his way cross country, day after day! Easy to learn and remember, huh? Having second thoughts about this enterprise yet?

I am sure that all of this is waaay more than you ever wanted to know, and probably even more than you wanted to do before he begins the trip. I look forward to reading more here about the cross country plan and adventures in your friend’s use of the Nuvi 2689.
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    SE0607…AND here’s even more info, both Negative Concerns, and Helpful Tips (in case you follow thru on the Plan).

Despite an overwhelming majority of Favorable Amazon Reviews since January 2016 (I estimate about 75% are 4 and 5 Star ratings; I rated it 5 Stars last April 23), there are many dissatisfied Nuvi 2689 users. Given that your senior friend may not be receptive to new technology, I think that you may wish to be aware of the problems that he could possibly encounter, and that might lead to his dissatisfaction with the product, and which you might have to help troubleshoot remotely: A very grim prospect.

I summarize below the negative comments of recent Amazon buyers for just the Nuvi 2689 (since January 2016 to date, equal to 15 computer “page screens:” most of these complaints have been reported by only one respondent).
    Not turn on or stay on; locks up during use (THE most common complaint – OUCH!)
    Delay in starting up and locating satellites
    Notifies of turns too late
    Too much screen glare makes it unusable or too distracting
    Unreliable traffic reports (either false alert of traffic jam OR does not report jam which is real)

Difficult to place on mount
    Cannot trust directions
    Routes me off highway and right back on again at next entrance
    Voice stopped speaking instructions to driver
    Needed Garmin support to resolve problem
    Repeatedly needed to re-install my settings

I have suffered many of the above issues over my three Nuvis, but found MOST of them minor or not repeated or resolved them myself…and that’s why I still have loved each unit. Basically, with experience (and helpful forums such as this one), I have been able to overcome or resolve all of my issues, although it did require sending the Nuvi back to either Costco or Garmin on two occasions…and getting good working units in exchange. However, a new owner crossing the country with no Nuvi experience is likely to become either so impatient with, and disgusted with the unit, that he might stop using it altogether…and resort back to a paper map. I have offered the above perspective just to alert you that your good intentions might be for naught. On the good side is: if the friend has a generally positive experience, he might really become enthusiastic with the Nuvi and explore its many other features (such as onboard Help, Spoken Commands, finding various “Points of Interest” by himself, and becoming expert at all that the 2689 has to offer, and use it all the time at home).

Just in case the Nuvi 2689 does go on the planned cross country trip, here is one suggestion to make things even better than expected. I always plan all our overnight motel stops in advance (including reservations beforehand), based on my personal estimate of about 300-400 miles of daily driving. Therefore, I input the exact address of each motel ahead of the entire trip, and create my Custom Routes in daily portions, with Point A being the start point of each day…and Point B the last stop of the day. This makes it easy for me to save each daily route by titling each day by Number and Name: For instance, 1 Best Western to Boise, 2 Boise Quality Inn to Great Falls, etc. An especially useful purpose of the named Motels/Addresses beforehand is that after arrival in each city, I know that I can also search for/drive to ANY desired restaurant for dinner…and then select the name of the Motel (from Saved Places or Recently Found), and drive right back to the Motel for sleep. If your friend is willing to make reservations for each night’s stay beforehand, YOU could input each of those for each city for him, and make it easier for you to create multiple routes across the USA (perhaps 5-10 daily routes, instead of just 2 gargantuan routes). That way, the friend could confidently arrive precisely at each motel…and feel free to explore the overnight city for a restaurant or whatever, and know that he could simply input the motel Name to return later. [Just imagine friend’s pleasure when he casually drives wherever across town to a favorite chain restaurant, and then gets back in the car after dinner—when it is totally DARK, and maybe raining--to have the Nuvi direct him from the far depths of the parking lot, turning here and there right to the lot exit and onto the local street, and back to his motel! Yes, the 2689 will ordinarily do that.] And to continue this fantasy, he could simply pick the next numbered Route to resume travelling the next AM. [YOU, as pre-programmer, do have to use a little ingenuity to Name and SAVE each day’s route, and then add Numbers 1 through 10 afterwards, insuring that they all appear in order within the Trip Planner app: 1 at the top and 10 for the last day.] The foregoing is exactly what I have in mind for practice in his home locale, until he is confident that it works: 1 Home to Best Buy, 2 Best Buy to favored McDonalds, 3 McDonalds to Home, etc. Sorry, but it will take a bunch of your time to program; on the other hand, you will be able to apply all that you have learned to YOUR Next Road Trip!

Perhaps your friend would be satisfied to get gas each day at whatever service station appears along his route (deviating as little as possible), or looking specifically for Chevron in each town. On the other hand, if he is cheap like me, he would already have a list of Costco stores (with gas stations, compiled by searching Costco on the internet, for each of the big cities along his route). Yeah, this would be more work for the Nuvi programmer to input Costco Gas for 5-10 cities (as part of the routes), but I find that I can drive most of the way from Seattle to Phoenix by gassing up at Costcos, one stop a day (and conveniently grab some lunch, use the restroom, and take a rest break). Once one becomes comfortable using the Nuvi “Voice Command” feature, like me, you can keep an eye on the gas gauge going down…and look for Costcos ahead, simply by speaking “Find Place…Along Route…Costco.” [Full Disclosure requires me to admit that my wife checks on her smartphone to be sure which Costcos have gas stations.] One of the many Nuvi 2699 features that I love. Bon Apetit.
  • SE0607 2 Points
    Wow Nuvifan, that's quite a post! Consider me sufficiently warned about the potential pitfalls of my plan. I almost boxed it back up to return it after reading just a portion of your post last night, but I think I am going to keep it. I do admit that it I was a bit overwhelmed when I got it yesterday and then looked at the manual online. However, I am confident I can program his route, with a motel stop, and the instruct him on using it for that route. He does have a cell phone, just a flip phone, and I will be available for him to call anytime or even all the time!

The gentleman is my boyfriend of 15 years, who still farms here in Wisconsin. He has been driving back and forth to Arizona for the past 7 years. He leaves Wisconsin in November and returns in March. All but 2 of the trips were solos. I drove with him last November and although I have a lot of experience driving cross country in the US, it had been about 20 years since I had done such a long trip. I found it nerve wracking and exhausting. It's a 26 hour trip. Although we made a few pit stops, I couldn't convince him to stop for the night until we had been on the road for 19+ hours. He is a go, go go, guy, despite his age and this is a problem. I think he doesn't recognize his limitations sometimes. At any rate, he knows the way home very well without a map. However, he wants to avoid Kansas City and the typical Garmin route includes it. On the trip down last fall we made a nice detour, but it required me acting as navigator with assistance from google maps navigation on my phone. I offered to make the trip home with him, but he declined, probably because I am a terrible passenger. I am a former air traffic controller plus I am rarely a passenger in any sort of vehicle so I am uncomfortable not being in control. I also rarely do any highway driving or night driving anymore, but I can handle it fine after a brief period of adjustment.

I appreciate your detailed advice especially about the mounting and unmounting of the device. He is driving a Ford pickup truck and will be doing a few drivethrus and stops for fuel plus 1 overnight stop. Knowing him, he will "motel it" for about 6 hours. That's all he'll be able to stand before wanting to get back on the road. I was thinking of getting one of those bean bag deals that sits on the dash for the Nuvi to sit it. That would solve the mount/unmount problem. I don't expect he will be glancing at the device much, if at all, he just wants to hear when a turn is approaching along his route.

If he gets flustered, as I imagine he will, he can call me and we will decide whether to just turn the darn thing off. I will keep the unit so we can practice all summer for his return trip next fall. He wants me to drive with him next fall again, so that will be great for hands on instruction. That being said, I do wish he would just fly. It's less than 3 hours to fly and so easy. He was almost ready to start flying until he got it in his head that he wants to bring a team of ponies down to Arizona so he can drive them around his property and the neighborhood. So now he is thinking of towing a trailer as well. Ugh!

Thanks again for your post. It was very helpful. I will keep you informed of our experience woith the Nuvi. I just hope it's not a lemon! Here is what I do in the winter. I am no snowbird. (Not yet at least.)
  • SE0607 2 Points
    UPDATE: Programming the trip.

First I used the trip planner with city destinations along the route he wants to travel. It's not the suggested route Garmin provided, since we avoided Kansas City by making a detour around it. Then I realized I could use and should use Lat/Long coordinates along the route and so I did that using the info off of Google Maps. However, I learned that since each coordinate was still a "destination," it would announce he had arrived each time and he's have to choose the next one to continue, even if that meant on the on-ramp. I Googled about that and learned that those points could be set "do not announce" which turns them into shape points using Garmin Basecamp. Fantastic! I downloaded and installed Basecamp and sent my route from the device to my laptop.

I took a close look using my laptop, zooming way in at each coordinate listed and saw that some goofy routing like U-turns, because some of my Google coordinates were for spots slightly off road. I am SO GLAD I zoomed in on my route, because I was then able to move my little blue flags onto the correct place along my route and correct all those Uturns and other weird stuff. Boy, if he had tried to follow that he would have gone nuts and I would have been in hot water for sure. I checked, rechecked, and rechecked again until I was certain there were no more oddities. I also printed out the turn by turn directions and compared that with the route. All looked great! I sent the amended route back to the device and customized all settings.

I bought a beanbag type holder so he doesn't have to deal with the darn suction cup. I also took the Nuvi for a few rides to take a look at the display in action and hear the voice. Then I made him a 5 minute YouTube video about how to use it on this particular trip. I told him to watch it over and over and he said he quickly got it down pat. If any one wants to see my movie, I will post the link.

I kept the device on the beanbag stand and boxed it up with tons of bubble wrap and a notecard with the steps: Apps, Down Arrow, Trip Planner, Waverly, Go, OK, and Start. I mailed it to him yesterday and he should have it on Friday. He leaves a few days later.

So....we will see how it goes. Maybe it will work or maybe he will toss the thing on the pick-up floor. Who knows? BTW, when I programmed a short trip in my rural neighborhood, the map had the correct roads, but the directions, both written and audible were incorrect for one road. How do I report that?

Thanks for reading this far!!!!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    SE0607 said:

However, I learned that since each coordinate was still a "destination," it would announce he had arrived each time and he's have to choose the next one to continue, even if that meant on the on-ramp. I Googled about that and learned that those points could be set "do not announce" which turns them into shape points using Garmin Basecamp.

It's a good move using shaping points although even with viapoints that do announce once the GPS reaches them it will automatically move on to the next one, there is no need to 'choose the next one to continue'. The real downside with viapoints is that you must 'hit them' and if you don't your device will nag you until you do, miss a shaping point and it's easy to skip it. I therefore use shaping points most of the time, only using viapoints when I know I plan to stop there so must reach it.

• SE0607 2 Points
    Final Results: My BF was able to use the gps pretty well. What was difficult for him were the times he was on a numbered highway that changed to street names as he travelled through towns. For instance, he had a long stretch on Highway 56, but as it passed through towns the "woman" would tell him to "turn on Pancake Road" or continue on Wyatt Earp Blvd," when in reality he was just following Highway 56. When I use my android phone, Google maps tells me ALL of the names of the road I need to be on. That can be a bit cumbersome when it spits out several names and seems to go on forever.

Another issue was his unfamiliarity of the route I planned. I sent him a Google map ahead of time, but he did not study it, so he made a few calls to me to be sure he was going the right way. He seemed to be concentrating hard because one time when I called him he answered "what do you want?!" I said just checking on him and he yelled back, "I am trying to satisfy the woman!," meaning the gps. He was driving the diesel pickup with the window down and it was noisy and hot. He said he had a hard time hearing "her," until he figured out to roll up the window and put the A/C on. I also had told him to just put the gps on the truck seat and cover it when he stopped overnight, but he actually brought it in the room with him, so I'd say he got quite attached to "her."

All in all, it was a good result. Thanks to all for your comments and reccomendations. They are greatly appreciated!

• t923347 432 Points
    Great news!!! Thanks for giving us the final results. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited April 2016
    SE0607 said:

he yelled back, "I am trying to satisfy the woman!," meaning the gps.

Are you sure about that? :))

Seriously, thanks for following up. The problem with Garmin using local street names instead of route numbers has been frequently discussed in the past. I also prefer using route numbers, and the data Garmin gets from HERE (formerly Navteq) definitely includes the numbers. But for some reason, Garmin has chosen not to use them.
  • alanb 539 Points
    It is not even consistent in using street names. In my town, at one specific intersection with a highway, if your route takes you to a right turn on the highway it says "turn right on Collins Road". If the route takes you left it says "turn left on Highway 100". Go figure.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited April 2016
    Not consistent here either but definitely more instructions based on road numbers with every update. Bit like junction view I expect, numbers will increase over time.