This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Does it still make sense in 2016 to buy a Garmin?

13»

Comments

• werewolf 107 Points
    edited September 2016
    I autopay everything.

Jetpack is what Verizon calls its mobil hotspot:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    If you switched to a smartphone, it could double as a hotspot. I do this and it works very well, can connect to computers using wifi, bluetooth and USB.
  • Boyd said:

If you switched to a smartphone, it could double as a hotspot. I do this and it works very well, can connect to computers using wifi, bluetooth and USB.

I know and I was just talking about that with the Verizon reps in a store and also on the phone (more accurate info and better deals on the Verizon 800 number). Seems that it is better the way I have it set up now. It would cost me more if I got a smart phone, and I don't know why I need one anyway since I have two nice tablets.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    edited November 2016
    TomTom has a new app "TomTom GO Mobile" for both Android and iOS - here's the iOS version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-go-mobile/id884963367?mt=8

Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to - looks really good from what I've read… imagine this, it has a comprehensive user manual! Garmin doesn't even have a manual for their app, and this one appears to put the Nuvi manuals to shame also: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_Mobile_app_for_iPhone/refman/TomTom-GO-Mobile-RG-en-us.pdf

Good news is that you can download the app and maps for free, but you can only drive 50 miles per month for free (the meter is running whenever the app is active, not just while routing). They are using a subscription model where $20 gets you a year of unlimited use. If the app is decent, I don't have a problem with that. The Garmin app was $80 and that didn't include the in-app extras like traffic, pedestrian mode, etc.

Bad news is that you will probably be using beta software at this point, but it I like the "roadmap" they have proposed for future updates: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22114/locale/en_gb

After the fiasco I just experienced with Garmin's update (http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30680/garmin-streetpilot-app-crashes-at-startup), I'm ready to look for something better from a company that is serious about the smartphone market….
  • Interesting thread. I wasn't aware I needed to keep the updates coming or have my nuvi go "out of service," so thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't replace my nuvi if it rolled over and died - it's just too misleading. I've complained about it previously, but it continues to send me off of fast roads and down slow roads instead. When we travel around the western US we're frequently out of cell or data coverage, so we do run the nuvi, primarily because it's nice to have an accurate speed indication and names of upcoming roads and lakes and such, but we always use google or apple maps for any city transit. Now with downloaded maps - Here and Google - I'm losing the need for the nuvi.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Jaywalker said:

When we travel around the western US we're frequently out of cell or data coverage, so we do run the nuvi

That is no reason not to use a phone. There are plenty of apps that load the entire map and related data on the phone, just like a Nuvi. No cell service or data connection is required for these. Garmin has the StreetPilot app (only for iOS) and TomTom has the Go Mobile app for both Android and iOS. As mentioned above, the TomTom app is interesting because you can download maps of the entire world.
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited February 19
    I know this a year old-topic but, It's an interesting one.

I think it's safe to say at this point that I won't be purchasing another dedicated GPS.

I've retired my old Magellan which I bought early on, and which hasn't had an update in a verrry long time. My phone app has taken its place. I'll get back to that.

I love my Nuvi550. I've upgraded the memory with a bigger SD card using the "cloning" trick and have been trying to keep it useable for as long as I can, but the power plug has been wonky for years and the fix seems to be...We'll..there is no fix. And Garmin has decided not to offer a similar replacement model. When it goes, it's gone.

The only advantages over my phone app is that the Nuvi is waterproof, has a gloves-ready screen, and it's more rugged. I can deal with that. But the search is slow and frankly, often delivers bad results or no results.

Incidentally, I bought a smartphone RAM mount for my car and motorcycle that works just fine.

I've been testing the CoPilot app side by side with the Nuvi for several years now and I'm satisfied with results. Online maps, a lot of customization options, free updates, and inexpensive to boot. I now use it exclusively in my car and it's gone on a lot of long motorcycle camping trips, too. Yes, sometimes it comes up with a few laughable suggestions, but no more than my Nuvi.

I think the only thing that would make me want to buy another dedicated device would be if they would come up with a simpler, more user-friendly routing program than Basecamp, and they've made it pretty clear that they're not interested in doing that.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    edited February 20
    menhir said:

The only advantages over my phone app is that the Nuvi is waterproof, has a gloves-ready screen, and it's more rugged.

There are already several current smartphones (such as the iPhone 7) with waterproof ratings comparable to a Garmin handheld, and upcoming models are rumored to have even higher ratings.

Then there are some inexpensive rugged Android smartphones that people are using to replace dedicated devices. No personal experience, but this one looks interesting. Street price seems to be in the $100 to $120 range... compare that to Garmin's pricing ;) www.blackview.hk/blackview-78/