This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Drivelux 50 LMT-D

Observations are compared with my 3790T.

Out of the box feel nice and chunky, screen display is an improvement. Machine has 14.2gig of internal memory so sizeable improvement.

Garmin Express has installed five software updates several times, so no different there!!

Does not show up as a drive under Windows 10, but as a device, not sure why yet. No safe disconnect offered so worried about unplugging.

Need to find my way around the usual options etc.

Will test drive it tomorrow.

Comments

• Boyd 1853 Points
    edited April 2016
    Starting in 2012, nuvis are not configured to be mass storage devices, they are MTP devices and don't need to be safely removed. This will prevent you from accessing the hidden .system folder, so you can't backup the map.

See this post for instructions on how to change the default behavior to a mass storage device: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

The Nuvi 2012 models are treated as MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices by Windows Vista and Windows 7, and will not mount as lettered drives like the older Nuvi's. Thanks to members popej, jondough and iggy for their explanation of how to backup these new models.
    I just received my received my 2595 today and did the backup of the NUVI when I received it. Here is the procedure I used.

Make NUVI DIR & Files visible for Backup
    1. To make all of Nuvi files visible you must unhide protected files via Win7 like any other HD.
    2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    8. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.
    9. Explorer will now see all files in ROOT directory and the .System directories.
    Note: as an alternative to step 3 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Ta, MTP is on a sub menu on this one, also picked up 2017.10 is about
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited April 2016
    I'm holding my finger on the trigger, but it is listed as "not yet available" everywhere with expected availability on Apr 11-12. Where did you get yours from?
  • alanb 419 Points
    I think Chris_Sav is from the UK, so his would be the Europe model. I don't think it is in stock anywhere in the US yet.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    edited April 2016
    Yes I'm from the UK. Halfords had stock before the Garmin site.

Blasted internet connection has failed whilst downloading 2017.10 and it's showing 9½hrs to go (was 1½hrs when I left) dare I restart it?? No Garmin activity on Task Manager on Windoze 10.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Rebooted PC and fortunately the Gamin has also rebooted, phew!
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    Personally, I always try to do a backup of a new device before updating anything. Then I can go back to a known working state if needed. :)
  • alanb 419 Points
    I always do that too Boyd .... probably learned it from your advice years ago :)
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Sage comments! Is it just a straight copy/replace of the files on the device or is an image backup needed please?
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    First thing that I have found annoying with the beast is that I cannot have a custom front menu unlike my Montana. Even worse is that I cannot even re-order the Apps list. It has 'Babycam' on the prime list which I will never use and to get to 'Trip Planner' (which we will all use!) you have to press the down arrow to get to it amongst the also-rans.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    That's true of the older models too although trip planner is still on the first page ;)
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

Is it just a straight copy/replace of the files on the device or is an image backup needed please?

See the thread about backups that I linked to above. You just copy all the files to a folder on your computer, but you must copy all the hidden files too.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Boyd said:

Chris_Sav said:

Is it just a straight copy/replace of the files on the device or is an image backup needed please?

See the thread about backups that I linked to above. You just copy all the files to a folder on your computer, but you must copy all the hidden files too.
    Ta, yes familiar with the .system files, was surprised when Acronis did not offer the image option for backup as a disk. Have done the straight copy with Explorer for now, appreciate the help.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Have now used the Drivelux 50 LMT-D on a couple of trips.

I like, compared with the 3790T
    Better display, more readable.
    Better routing instructions and notice of my trends
    Less propensity to take me off major roads when using fastest journey options.
    More disc space in main memory so recalculations are much quicker than my 3790T with a nearly full disk.
    Better traffic and road works info.

Don't like:
    Only one additional optional info field on the map so cannot have time and distance to arrival.
    Route warnings seize on screen now and again so you have to exit the map and redisplay to get them to update.
    Low battery life even when brand new.
    Bend warnings are inconsistent.
    Found it difficult to get an acceptable volume level with the only real routing voice, either seemed loud or difficult to understand.
    Poorly thought out menu structure (e.g. trip planner on first screen of a sub menu), cannot make custom menus.

It's an improvement on the 3790T but feel it could have been even better.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Are you sure there's only one field? Tap the 3bar icon lower right. If trip data is listed select it. If not go into Settings, Map and Vehicle, Map tools and select it.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    edited April 2016
    You are offered a tick list and whichever you select wipes the previous tick.

There is the ancilliary menu brought up by tapping the lower right hand spanner. You can add items to that via map tools but accessing the menu still takes your concentration and finger away from driving the vehicle and does not offer the fields I want or add them to the map
  • sussamb 764 Points
    edited April 2016
    Trip data should. It gives three fields on the right hand side of the screen. But maybe it works differently on your model.
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    Have you seen this thread? Can't you do this on the DriveLuxe? Was playing with a 2689 yesterday in Best Buy and it had this feature: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28412/x/p1/
  • t923347 413 Points
    That process described in that thread should work.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    If it doesn't I wouldn't consider getting one ;)
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Yes! well done, not by that route however. if you activate trip data you get three more fields at the expense of quite a bit of map from the look of it.

Will look closer in the morning
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Great news!!!

Email from Garmin to say I don't have to wait any longer for the Drivelux 50 as they now have it available!!

Horses and stable doors comes to mind!

After a months use overall I am quite pleased with the beast.
  • johnhimm 1 Point
    Chris_Sav said:

Great news!!!

Email from Garmin to say I don't have to wait any longer for the Drivelux 50 as they now have it available!!

Horses and stable doors comes to mind!

After a months use overall I am quite pleased with the beast.

• johnhimm 1 Point
    Just picked mine up last week. Went on a 300 mile trip up i95 through NYC. This unit replaced my 3597 and I am very pleased with the speed of the unit over the 3597. The small software tweeks are nice as well. HD Traffic rerouted me from i95 to the Hutchinson parkway saving me 35 mins of stand still traffic for the GWB.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Had my first experience of bad traffic with the Drivelux yesterday, trying to get past the queues around Dover/Folkestone and, quite frankly, it failed miserably.

I ignored it eventually and used country lanes over the cliffs at Capel which the Drivelux did not wake up to until I got on them and then told me I was on a quicker route than it could previously offer as the fastest route!

Checked the traffic and avoidance options and can see no reason.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited July 2016
    So, here's my experience with DriveLuxe 50:

This is a well-made unit that is certainly capable of doing what it is supposed to do. My previous experience with Garmin car navigators include Nuvi 3490 and NuviCam. DriveLuxe 50 is definitely heavier than 3490, but noticeably lighter and thinner than NuviCam. However, as of this writing, DriveLuxe 50 suffers from a number of significant firmware bugs, which are unfortunately so typical for Garmin devices. Here's a few things I think are worth mentioning after a few months of use:

Pros:

- Solidly built and not overweight for its size (NuviCam was definitely on the heavy side).

- Very good Bluetooth connectivity. Connects reliably, which is important for using it device as a hands-free device as well as for reliable communication with Garmin Smartphone Link app. (NuviCam is good at it as well, but 3490 fared much worse in that department).

- Screen image does not disappear even when looked at through polarized sunglasses, regardless of the angle.

- Garmin finally replaced their horrible ear-shattering incoming call ringtone with something that sounds a lot softer.

Cons:

- The screen is too low-res for this size. 800x480 is ridiculously low by modern standards. Sometimes the image looks like it is painted with a lipstick.

- The sound quality is adequate, but appears to be notably worse than in NuviCam. This is especially noticeable during hands-free conversations. Higher-frequency tones easily make the speaker to squeal and distort. In my experience, NuviCam has much better-sounding speaker with surprisingly low distortions.

- Voice command menu hasn't changed since 3490 era. It is still very deeply and annoyingly nested. Such simple tasks as redialing the last phone call require suffering through several levels of nested menus. Garmin redesigned their touch-based phone menu and made it much easier to use, but the voice-based menu is still stuck in its original state from many-years-ago.

- Partial street name search is unreliable. For some street names it works, for others it doesn't. For example, for some unexplainable reason searching for "El Camino" does not find addresses on "El Camino Real".

- A serious firmware bug: spurious voice prompts. The device issues voice directions intended for a distant next turn as current directions. For example, if you have 50 miles of straight highway driving ahead of you, followed by exit to the right, the device will suddenly say "Exit right" at a number of intermediate points along that straight route. This is startling and highly misleading. The graphical representation of the route remains correct, just voice prompt is misleading. The bug is 100% reproducible and always happens at the same points of the route. So, if you prefer to rely on voice prompts for navigation (as opposed to following the line on the screen), this device is not yet usable for that purpose.

- Another firmware bug: School Zone chime cannot be disabled. Garmin introduced a number of settings that lets user select which warnings should be accompanied with audible chime. The device settings GUI contains contains a number of checkboxes allowing user to on/off the chimes. The list includes the "School" chime as well. However, the "School" checkbox has no effect at all - the device simply ignores the user selection. Regardless of what the user selects, the School Zone chime is always audible. Apparently, Garmin had the right idea to make it possible to disable this chime and even included the option in the the GUI, but never bothered to actually implement it.

- Weather support is implemented crudely. When connected to Smartlink app the device supports Free Weather at Current Location feature, as well as paid subscription-based Live Weather Along The Route and Live Weather at Destination features. If a non-subscribed user hits the Weather icon while some route is active, the device apparently attempts to access the paid service and displays a cryptic error message ("invalid request" or something like that). This is ridiculous. If the user is not subscribed, then hitting Weather icon should still display Free Weather instead of splatting cryptic developer-level error prompts across the screen.

- Active Lane Guidance is a useful feature (where it works), but it quickly gets annoying on familiar routes. The user should be able disable it, if they so desire. At this time all we can do is manually close the guidance window every time it pops up.

The recent map updates also introduced a number of ludicrous map-related issues (my home address suddenly disappeared from the database), but such issues are not related to the device itself.
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    Nice write-up - thanks for posting! =D>
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited August 2016
    Another strange bug I just encountered in Voice Search.

If I ask Voice Search to "Find Place" and then say "Starbucks", it flawlessly recognizes the business name - "Starbucks". But then it presents me with a list of Starbucks locations where the nearest one is in another city 20 miles away (!?).

There are tens of Starbucks locations right around my current location, and if I do a regular (non-voice) search for "Starbucks" in Restaurants, DriveLuxe will correctly find and report them all. But if I go through Voice Search it does not "see" anything near me.

To experiment with it, I went to Voice Search, asked it to "Find Category" and then said "Coffee". This time DriveLuxe correctly responded with a list of coffee shops around me including two Starbucks locations, both 0.5 miles away from me.

But if I repeat "Find Place" - "Starbucks" search, it will still only report Starbucks locations 20 miles and farther away.
  • alanb 419 Points
    Yes, that is pretty strange. Is there anything unique about the items in the voice command list that is different from the full list (spelling, punctuation, etc?) I tested this on my 3597, and it returned the same list for Starbucks whether I used the voice command or text search.
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    That was my first thought too. Maybe there is something slightly different in the names? Could some be "Starbucks" and others "Starbucks Coffee" (or whatever)?
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited August 2016
    Boyd said:

That was my first thought too. Maybe there is something slightly different in the names? Could some be "Starbucks" and others "Starbucks Coffee" (or whatever)?

Well, when I do a text search, I also enter just "starbucks" and it works properly.

BTW, the funny thing is that two Garmin's "poster boys" for voice search - "Starbucks" and "Subway" (suggested as examples on the Find Place screen) - both suffer from this problem.

Meanwhile voice search for "Nordstrom" works properly.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited August 2016
    Correction: textual (non-voice) search is also broken in the very same way. (Somehow I missed it.)

If I manually go into Restaurants -> Coffee & Tea, then DriveLuxe will show me my local Startbucks locations. But if I simply enter "Starbucks" in the search box, search results will only list some weird distant Starbucks locations 20 miles away.

If I enter "Starbucks Coffee" in the search box, the internal database wil not find anything at all, but Foursquare results will. However, Foursquare results will also list distant Starbucks locations only.
  • gpz1100 83 Points
    edited August 2016
    A few comments on the driveluxe (and really any drive series unit). Here's what I posted on gpspassion earlier.

-------

Regarding the upcoming alerts;

I recently traveled in the SE, specifically Smokey Mountains area, tail of the dragon (https://goo.gl/maps/FJ1hwvdCF1q ).

The upcoming curve alert came on literally every few seconds. With the unit mounted at eye level on the lower left corner of the windshield, this was extremely annoying and distracting. Enough so that i'd say it's a safety concern. Even when not looking at the unit directly, the alert is visible in the periphery.

I highly recommend folks chime in to garmin on this at http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/ so that maybe we can get a software update which adds on/off toggles to these.

My other issue is lack of icon support on imported routes. It appears the sym tag is completely ignored in the gpx and all waypoints get replaced with generic orange flags. Basic icons such as fuel, restaurants or lodging should be supported in all units. This flaw even exists in routes built within trip planner on the unit itself using built in POI's. They even let you edit the icon for the POI but it doesn't get applied when used in a route.

I've been a long time garmin nuvi user, specifically the 7x5 series, then the 14xx. These models were chosen explicitly for their ability to support a custom imported route (gpx) for technical/backroad driving and motorcycle riding. The 14xx was getting slow, crashing when trying to import lengthy routes (had to split a day trip into 2 parts). I refuse to pay megabucks for the zumo which supports a few more features than this unit.

Was initially going to go with a drivesmart 60 due to the larger screen. Comparing both the drivesmart 50, 60, and driveluxe 50 side by side revealed the screen on the drivesmart 60 is much dimmer than the other 2. At full brightness it's equivalent to about 60/70% of the others. This would be an issue in bright sunlight. Ended up with the luxe model because of the 800x480 screen. The smart 50 is only 480x272! $250 on ebay for a new unit.

----------
  • Anyone know what the pinout is for the driveluxe mount? I wonder if it can be adapted to use with other devices to pass the usb power to.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited September 2016
    AndreyT said:

Correction: textual (non-voice) search is also broken in the very same way. (Somehow I missed it.)

If I manually go into Restaurants -> Coffee & Tea, then DriveLuxe will show me my local Startbucks locations. But if I simply enter "Starbucks" in the search box, search results will only list some weird distant Starbucks locations 20 miles away.

If I enter "Starbucks Coffee" in the search box, the internal database wil not find anything at all, but Foursquare results will. However, Foursquare results will also list distant Starbucks locations only.

I reported this problem to Garmin yesterday. They confirmed that the problem is reproducible. Incidentally, yesterday they released firmware update 4.10 that fixes this bug.

I doubt that they made an update from 3.50 to 4.10 just because of my report, so it remains to be seen what else is fixed in this release...
  • t923347 413 Points
    Changes from version 3.50 to version 4.10:
    Fixed a search issue that could cause nearby POIs to be omitted or sorted incorrectly.
    Fixed issues that could cause false wrong way alerts during navigation.
    Fixed an issue that could cause parking availability prompts to reappear after route recalculation.
    Fixed an issue that could cause excessively long route calculation times.
    Fixed an issue with sorting trips in reverse alphabetical order.
    Improved GPS performance.
    Improved software stability.
  • Good news!

Had the missing POI and wrong way alert at the end of a trip and the yonks to calculate.

Chris
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited September 2016
    The issue with incorrect voice prompts is not fixed in version 4.10.

Additional experiments show that the bug is specific to non-synthesised voices only. If one uses synthesised voice (one of those that "speak street names") then these spots on the route trigger lane guidance prompts, like "Stay in either of two left lanes".

Non-synthesised voices are not capable of lane guidance prompts. When a non-synthesised voice is selected, driving through the same spots triggers completely incorrect voice prompts, like "Exit right" when the actual route is completely straight.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited October 2016
    Another example of bizzare DriveLuxe 50 behavior, which was apparently introduced in 4.10.

As I drive my usual route and pass through one specific intersection, I see a gray callout icon sticking out from that intersection (or near it). When I drive in one direction it contains a flag icon inside, when I drive in opposite direction it shows an icon of a lifted car. Touching the latter symbol gives me a voice prompt about a local car wash.

A quick inspection of map display settings seems to indicate that this is nothing else than "Places Up Ahead" feature. I.e. when I turn this feature On/Off exactly the same gray callout icons appear/disappear on the sample map. However, I keep "Places Up Ahead" permanently off. And it seems to stay off everywhere, except for that single intersection.

I tried turning "Places Up Ahead" on and then off again, but this stubborn intersection does not give up: it keeps popping out these callout icons regardless of that setting.

What could be causing this? (I have been driving through this intersection many times, and I don't remember ever seeing these symbols before 4.10)