This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

recover waypoint data from Nuvi 1450

I have tried with three different computers. They tell me that they see a drive, but cannot seem to access the files. I have a treasure of data in that Nuvi. It still works fine, except that I cannot update it or access files from a computer. I know that they are still there as I have no trouble finding them in the Favorites.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Your waypoints should be inside the GPX folder on the Nuvi, in a file named Current.gpx. This file is actually just a copy of data stored in inacessible protected memory and is automatically regenerated every time the Nuvi starts. So as long as the Nuvi is functional, this file should be present.

If you can access the 1450 like a disk you can copy Current.gpx to your computer. You can then open it in Mapsource or import it into a list in Basecamp. Have you tried this?

• Weather 0 Points
    That is the problem. I am unable to access the 1450 from the computer at all.
  • alanb 539 Points
    You said in your first post that the computers "see a drive, but cannot seem to access the files". Somehow that doesn't make sense. If you are on a Windows computer, be sure you set the folder properties to "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Also uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files"
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited April 2016
    The only hidden files would be the map and other system files in one folder and that isn't where the favorites are stored. If the Nuvi's flash memory was corrupted, that could create the issue that @Weather describes though, so I think his description makes sense (unfortunately). Perhaps try some kind of disk utility software?