This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Loading Europe maps on a 2599LMT

I am taking the GPS on our trip to Germany and I want to buy the Europe data. The device says it has 1.6 GB free, and the download for Europe was 5.5 GB. Is it not possible to have both NA and Europe on the device?
Thanks for any advice

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    No. You will need to install a card. Bear in mind both the download and if you buy the map on the card from Garmin or an authorised dealer that neither are updateable. Often if it's a one off trip it makes more sense to buy the map pre-installed to the card, that way you can sell it on your return and recoup some of the outlay.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited April 2016
    You might want to shop around a bit also. It doesn't seem logical, but it's possible that you can get a whole EU version Nuvi for close to the same price as just buying the map. Also realize, that no matter what format map you purchase, you will not get junction view. That is only available on an original EU device.

And along the lines of what @sussamb posted, you could sell the EU Nuvi after your trip to recoup some of the cost.
  • Thank you for your answers.
    So,for example, this http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-2559LMT-North-America-Europe/dp/B00N41URY6 has the junction view for both NA and EU as well as lifetime updates for free?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It should, and AFAIK that is the only way to get junction view in the US and EU on a single device. Have never used one myself though, so I don't really know for sure. Garmin says lifetime maps are included for the both the US and EU, so I assume that includes all the extras like junction view.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2015-line/nuvi-2559lmt/prod138335.html

"Detailed maps of North America and Europe with free lifetime¹ map updates and traffic avoidance"

Interesting that it implies the traffic receiver works in both the US and EU. They use different frequencies, and regular traffic receivers will only work in the original country. I assume it has a special receiver that can handle both? You might want to double-check that.

But if you are happy with the 2599 you already have, it would be less expensive to buy an EU-only device and just use it when you travel there.
  • Thank you all very much.
    It may be simpler to get the one with NA and EU already on it, we were going to get a 2nd GPS anyway.

Our current 2599 won't go to waste, I can use it in my truck, and the new one can go in my wife's car after our trip.
  • alanb 539 Points
    The 2559 is unique in the nuvi line. While Garmin has had nuvi models with both NA and Europe going way back to the nuvi 370 in 2006, I think the 2559LMT is the only nuvi ever offered with lifetime map updates for both continents.