This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

SD card for entire N. America maps

I've been lurking for a while and found this forum interesting. I recently purchased a 52lm and have a question. I have seen several vendors on ebay selling current SD cards with North America maps. I travel to Canada frequently and the 52lm contains only the lower 48. If I purchase a card with North America maps will it run on the 52; and what do I do with the card when I update maps via Garmin Express.

Comments

• t923347 392 Points
    I suspect that the SD card will work on your 52lm but would caution you that these cards may not be the most current maps even though they are being sold on e-bay as being so. There are a couple of other things to consider. Your 52lm supports Junction Views which I don't believe the SD card will include. Also the map version on the card will not be upgradable so to get newer maps of NA you will need to purchase a new card. Finally, since you will have 2 versions of the maps on your Nuvi for some areas of North America you will need to disable the maps installed on your Nuvi when your using the maps on the SD card to help insure you will not run into problems.

You may want to have a look at the map installation options in Garmin Express and see if one of those options would allow you to install a portion of the US maps and the Canadian maps for the area in CDN that you need. Not sure if that's possible with the 52LM but it may be worth some investigation.
  • alanb 348 Points
    Also, be aware that some of the maps being sold on ebay are pirated and not legitimate Garmin products. If the price seems too good to be true, use caution.