This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

International GPS?

Hi,

I am looking for a gps that covers Iceland, Newfoundland, Yukon and British Columbia.

The choices and what maps are available are overwhelming.

Also, are there ones that you can plug in locations without exact addresses or zip codes?

Thanks greatly...

Comments

• privet01 144 Points
    Telling us more about how you intend to use it will help everyone give you more informed suggestions. Will you use the gps in a vehicle of some sort? Will you be using the gps while on foot? Will you need to use the gps on water and see nautical navigation information? Do you need topo map data? Do you require detailed street data?

If plugging a location into the GPS means a Lat/Long coordinate, then many gps allow that. Your choice of coverage might make purchased maps a little expensive, but there are free options that might fit your needs.
  • t923347 403 Points
    Most any automotive GPS sold in North America would have routeable maps for Newfoundland, Yukon and British Columbia pre-installed. I know of none that would have maps of Iceland although I suspect that there would be maps available for purchase, or download, that could be installed on a NA GPS along with the pre-installed ones.

Again, most any model with pre-installed maps of North America or Europe would have the capability to search for addresses by map co-ordinates, or get you to a general location by simply inputting a street name without an exact address or zip code.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    privet01 said:

Telling us more about how you intend to use it will help everyone give you more informed suggestions. Will you use the gps in a vehicle of some sort? Will you be using the gps while on foot?

True. You need to tell us what you're trying to do. Devices made for outdoor/hiking use ("handhelds") would not include any of the maps or features you want. These units are usually sold without any map and you have to purchase those separately (or use free maps, which is a bit more technically complex). Some handhelds, such as the Garmin "T models" (Oregon 650T for example) include a 100k topo map for the country in which they are sold. These maps are somewhat lacking in detail and do not allow for turn-by-turn navigation, they just show your location on the map.

• Hi folks,

I will be using it just for driving, have an app for hiking already on my phone.

I will just get a GPS for Iceland, while I am there (rental). Then I need my own to navigate Newfoundland to British Columbia, and the entire U.S.

- I would like, if available, to be able to locate national and even regional parks and/or, better, camping locations.

- speak to it with addresses

- one that doesn't have to be plugged in, like battery operated

These are not mandatory.

What is, is the ability to see the listing of routes I will be taking, not just the map, so I can see in advance the full route listed step by step.

Also, I don't want it to not find service in the middle of nowhere, like in Labrador, which happed often with the unit I rented in S. Africa.

Any suggestions on these criteria? The ones I said are not mandatory can be left out if they raise the price.

Thanks greatly for any help..

• Btw, I am asking about specific manufacturer and model you all know of, not just generalised.

Thanks again...
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    morgandy said:

Then I need my own to navigate Newfoundland to British Columbia, and the entire U.S.

I'm a little confused now. It sounds like you just want a GPS for the US and Canada. Almost all current Garmin automotive units will give you this. There a few low end models that only include "regional maps", but this should be clearly indicated in the description. Just choose a unit with "pre-loaded maps for the US and Canada" or "Detailed maps of North America": https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-p1.html

The "DriveLuxe" and "DriveSmart" series include speech recognition.: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/voice-activated/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-atFILTER_FEATURE_SPEECHRECOGNITION_01-p1.html

Here are some older models that have speech recognition: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/voice-activated/previous models/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-atFILTER_FEATURE_SPEECHRECOGNITION_01-c2012Line-p1.html

All of these devices will run on battery power, but don't expect too much. If you dim the screen you might get two hours or so.

Garmin's POI's should include parks and campgrounds. I'd expect there to be some regional variation when it comes to how accurate/available that data is however.

GPS relies on signals from satellites. It should not matter whether you're "in the middle of nowhere". Unless something is wrong with the device, it should work anywhere.

• privet01 144 Points
    morgandy said:

- one that doesn't have to be plugged in, like battery operated

virtually all consumer GPS devices intended for automotive use will want to be connected to the cars electical system via a cigar ligheter/power point adapter. For units with traffic and other realtime services this cable frequently contains the anntenna for such.

There fore automotive units generally have a battery that's only good for a couple hours. But you could go to a high end On the Trail device that has a large screen and put automotive maps on it.
    morgandy said:

Also, I don't want it to not find service in the middle of nowhere, like in Labrador, which happed often with the unit I rented in S. Africa.

If you are in sight of the required satellites you will have gps service. Their positions and number available for a good fix do change as they are not geosynchronous. I don't off hand know how that translates for reliability in the high latitudes.

Reception can be affected by high terrain, cliffs, mountains, tall buildings and dense foiliage. Even the car itself sometimes prevents you from getting a good signal on rare occasions.

• Boyd 1735 Points
    privet01 said:

But you could go to a high end On the Trail device that has a large screen and put automotive maps on it.

Not a very good alternative unfortunately. The Montana 610 has the largest screen of any handheld, which is only 4". List price is $500, and you would need the City Navigator which will be another $100 or so. These maps cannot be updated, if you want a newer map in the future, you would have to purchase them again. Then you will also want the automotive mount which is maybe $60.

I actually have a setup like this, and used it for awhile but got tired of it. You will not get traffic, smartphone link, voice recognition, junction view, real directions or any of the other extras that are included with the "real" automotive units.

I'm curious why @morgandy wants a battery powered unit? Will you use it in a car that doesn't have a power outlet? You can get external battery packs that would run the unit in that case.
  • I have other devices that will need to be charged a lot. I will be camping for a year, so won't have access to outlets.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    But you said you would use the GPS in the car. I don't understand how that relates to outlets, charging and camping….
  • I will be traveling by car the whole trip. Staying at campgrounds. My camera batteries, computer and phone will need to be plugged in to charge. I will just do that when am at my campsites and not driving. Thanks...
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Automotive GPS units are all designed to be plugged into the car power outlet primarily. They can run for perhaps 2 hours on battery. I still don't understand what kind of battery capability you need on the GPS. If it needs to run for extended periods on battery, then none of the units in the links I posted will do that.

If you really want a device that runs only on batteries, the Montana 610 is probably the best unit. It includes a rechargeable battery that might run the unit for 4 or 5 hours at high brightness. You can also use standard (disposable) AA batteries.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/hiking/montana-610/prod523640.html

To meet your needs you would need to purchase the City Navigator map

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456.html

And you would also need a vehicle mount. This one includes a power cord that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet and also includes a speaker so you will hear guidance prompts from the GPS.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod89574.html

As stated above, this is an expensive way to go, the screen is smaller than automotive GPS units and it does not have features such as traffic reports, junction view, speech recognition, etc.
  • OK, Garmin units seem to be the best, I have talked to them already about different ones, and they recommended a model already that has Canada and U.S. maps built in. I will most likely go with that. The charging issue I will not worry about. I will keep it plugged in and charge my other devices when I'm not navigating.

Thanks much...

• Boyd 1735 Points
    Why can't you charge your other devices while navigating? This is what confuses me. I don't know what kind of car you will use, but mine has 4 separate cigarette lighter-style power outlets - one on the dashboard, one inside the center console, one on the rear of the center console and one inside the hatchback.

You can also get a device like this if you need additional outlets

• That is a good device to look for. My car only has 1 cig/power plug.

Thanks so much for showing me that.
  • I bought the Garmin Drive 50LM.

It should totally fit my needs.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Some other interesting power options here. You could charge the powerpack in your car during the day, then use it to charge or directly power your gadgets in the evening. The power packs can also be charged with solar panels.

www.goalzero.com/power-packs