This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Lane guidance

I have just moved from a Tom Tom gps device to a new Garmin Nuvi 2599 gps device, the Tom Tom had lane guidance when you where traveling on motorways but the Garmin does not seen have this feature, so do i need to do something in the settings so the Garmin does have lane guidance showing?

Comments

• t923347 392 Points
    edited June 2016
    The Nuvi actually has 3 lane guidance features that are present, by default, on your device. The first is called lane assist and appears in the upper left hand corner of the map screen. Lane Assist will appear when you have a destination entered into the Nuvi and will appear as one or more arrows. Each arrow represents a lane on the road your travelling on. One or more of the arrows will be highlighted and those will represent the lanes you should be in to make the upcoming turn in your route. When lane assist is not displaying an upcoming maneuver, it will display the distance to and direction of, the next required turn in your route.

Another lane guidance feature is called Junction Views. These are photoreal pictures of an upcoming interchange/corner in your route with the lane you should be in highlighted by a magenta arrow on the map screen. These views don't appear at every intersection/interchange but most main freeways/motorways exits (at least in North America) are covered. Again you need to have a destination entered into your device and the junction view will only appear if you need to take the maneuver being displayed to stay on the calculated route..

Your Nuvi also has a 3rd feature called "active lane guidance" which is similar to Junction Views but show the magenta arrows in the lane you need to be in on the map screen, in a moving screen. The Junction Views on the hand are static pictures. You need to have a destination entered to see these but there are less of them than there are JV pictures so you may go for a long time between sightings of them.

There is a good set of pictures of what these lane guidance features look like on "Easily Navigate Complex Interchanges" on the Nuvi 2599 webpage at:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/business/navigators/nuvi-2599lmthd/prod138331.html
  • bikeit 1 Point
    Thanks for your reply,
  • sussamb 616 Points
    If you want to check all is well do a simulation east along the M40 to the M25 southbound. That junction I know has active lane guidance. There are many others now in the UK. Must say though I find it distracting!
  • bikeit 1 Point
    It would be a long drive for me, i live in Northern Ireland. lol
  • sussamb 616 Points
    edited June 2016
    As I said, do a simulation, you can do that in your chair at home :)
  • bikeit 1 Point
    So enter in a place you want to go to and watch the sat nav sitting at home.?
  • sussamb 616 Points
    Well that could take a while too lol

No, put your nuvi into simulation mode and set the location around 2 miles away west of the M40/M25 junction. Then get it to navigate to a location south on the M25, something like Leatherhead should work. The aim is to run the simulation so from the M40 it heads south onto the M25.
  • bikeit 1 Point
    Great, can you explain how i put it into simulation mode?
  • sussamb 616 Points
    Settings, Navigation, GPS Simulator ...

Now using the map scroll to a location on the M40, tap the map and then tap the bar at the bottom, on the screen that pops up tap Set Location. Your nuvi will now behave as though it's at that location. Do a Where to and enter Leatherhead, then Go ...