This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

my trends

does anyone know of a gps that willlll learn a route

Comments

• Boyd 1744 Points
    edited June 2016
    Garmin "myTrends" is supposed to do this, but I (and others) have had mixed results. I ended up disabling the feature, because the other thing it does is "suggest" routes. It would often do goofy things like suggest that I go back home when I was halfway to work. Actually, I liked the suggestion, but I don't think my boss would have understood. :))

Here is Garmin's description of how it works. I have lost track of which models support MyTrends, I believe the feature first appeared around 2010. Not sure if it is available on the new "Drive" models (Garmin stopped making "Nuvi" models). The Garmin StreetPilot Onboard app for iOS has myTrends, but I have it disabled.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={06e102a0-4d56-11df-7a03-000000000000}

Support
    Frequently Asked Questions

What is the myTrends feature and how does it work?

01/19/2016
    The myTrends feature is available on select Garmin products. When you travel regularly to saved destinations, your device will, over time, begin to figure out where you’re going even without your telling it. Your device will provide a predicted route which will display in the information bar at the top of the map screen. myTrends provides time of arrival and relevant traffic information in the information bar.

Note: myTrends is a feature that does not work out of the box when you first begin using your device.

In order to effectively use the myTrends feature you must meet the following requirements before myTrends will display time of arrival and relevant traffic information:

Your frequent destinations must be saved in Favorites or Saved on your device, i.e. Home, Work, etc.
    A regular pattern of driving habits must be established before myTrends will display on your device:
    Daily regular pattern of driving takes at least 3 days of usage
    Weekly regular pattern of driving such as a different destination on different days would take 2-3 weeks of regular usage

So I'm not sure this will really do what you want. Garmin's handheld devices have a feature called "advanced track navigation" that might work, but there are limitations. If you record a track, you can then use it like a route. You would have to be very careful when you record the track to make it work properly though. For example, one way streets and divided highways would only work in the same direction as they were recorded, and not for returning to your start point.

The Montana and Monterra series have the largest screens in the handheld line. They are expensive, and you would need to purchase the City Navigator map and car cradle separately. They also don't offer any traffic service and don't support junction view.

Here's a description of advanced track navigation. As you can see, it is really intended for hiking, not driving: gpstracklog.com/2010/07/navigating-tracks-on-the-new-garmin-handhelds.html