This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Problem inputting post code on Nuvi 52LM

Hi ... today my neighbour asked me if I could help her with a problem she is having when trying to type/input a UK post code on her Garmin Nuvi 52LM.

The problem is that as she starts typing the post code, after typing the first 3 or 4 characters, many of the letters and numbers on the keyboard-display become "blacked out" i.e. unavailable to be selected/typed. That stops her completing the post code.

Can someone tell me why that is happening?

Comments

• sussamb 632 Points
    Yes, because that postcode isn't included in the map data. Can you post an example here?
  • Sully1 0 Points
    First, thanks very much for the reply.

Right now I don't have the postcode that she was trying to input (I can get it tomorrow). But just to check to see if I understand what you mean -

- say the postcode was W4 1BS ... as you input each character and get as far as say "W4 1", more and more of the available characters on the keyboard disappear (ie "blacked out"), and that's because the Sat Nav thinks that W4 1BS is not a valid UK postcode ... is that what you are saying?

• t923347 392 Points
    I believe that, similar to Canada, as you input a post code the Nuvi displays only those numbers and letters that are valid according to it's programming of valid post codes. When you enter W4 keyboard will only display (allow selecting of) valid selections, of which 1 is a possible selection. After you select 1 the Nuvi well then only display the numbers or letters that it considers valid at that point. If, as in your example, it does not consider B a valid selection then it will be blacked out/not selectable.

In Canada our postal codes read, for example, like N5T 3V9. If after N5T is entered, the Nuvi does not consider 3 a valid choice it will not be selectable. On the other hand I believe I've read or seen somewhere that the Nuvi only uses the first 3 characters of a postal code anyway so maybe in the case is that W4 1 or N5T is all that can be inputted.
  • sussamb 632 Points
    In UK full postal code search works, so if anything is grayed out it is because the post code being used isn't within the map data.