This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

NUVI 55 for route work

One thing that makes me crazy about this unit is it NEVER takes me right to the location, only near it, sometimes not so near. Why isn't Garmin making this more accurate? This is the worst GPS I've had, but unfortunately, one of the only units that does multiples locations for a route. IN fact, the older models even did MORE locations (200), & they decided to change it to 30 now. Why reduce? I don't get it.

Comments

• alanb 364 Points
    edited July 2016
    The nuvi 55 was in the lower tier (Essentials series) of the nuvi's sold in 2014. The higher end models like my 3597LMTHD have a feature called "Point addressing" also known as "door-to-door navigation" which can find exact locations for about 80% of US addresses. It actually works quite well, but unfortunately your 55 doesn't have this feature. Here is the Garmin FAQ with more information: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={17ae8780-1e91-11e0-d39a-000000000000}
  • RB09 0 Points
    Thanks! I've used other GPS's that were inexpensive that worked very well. And Google maps is near perfect. I don't get why a GPS company would not want to be the best across the board.
  • sussamb 639 Points
    edited July 2016
    Incidentally I take it when you talk about 30 you're talking about points in a route, note that you can have many more shaping points (125 I believe).

Most routes though won't even come close to needing 30 viapoints, is there something special about the way you use your nuvi?

As for google maps, they have far more server power compared with the processor in your nuvi ;) so in some areas they will be better, but then in other areas your nuvi has advantages over Google :)
  • RB09 0 Points
    I know nothing about 'Shaping Points'! What are they?

I drive a courier route. Garmin has confirmed that my unit will only take 30 locations per route. Anything over that will not be able to be 'optimized', which is critical to a route. Frustrating, along with the issue of not being accurate to the actual address.
  • sussamb 639 Points
    Well as stated above you have a basic nuvi so the address issue is what it is. Garmin are correct about 30 'locations' but only if talking about via points, you can have many more shaping points. However for your use they probably won't help as shaping points aren't announced and can easily be missed. Your only option with the nuvi you have is to break your route into smaller chunks.
  • RB09 0 Points
    Got it.
    Funny, I updated 2 days ago & yesterday, 6 out of 26 addresses on my route came up 'unable to locate', (never happened to that extreme before) and it gave the next best choice. Ok. I wanted 35 Indian rd, it gave me 34 Indian Rd.? Looked all over for it (forgot that it wasn't really the one I needed, duh) AND there IS no 34 Indian Rd., but there IS 35. This was the case with each one of the 6. Ha, great update!
  • sussamb 639 Points
    If you've updated to 2017.20 you may have the issue covered here

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30548/gps-cannot-find-the-address#latest

Seems like the 2017.20 map may have some errors in it, the good news is that 2017.30 should be out shortly :)
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    edited July 2016
    There have been several threads mentioning problems with the newest map update, for example: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/204135/#Comment_204135

Do you have a backup of the old map that you can revert to?
  • RB09 0 Points
    Ok. Backup, don't know.
  • RB09 0 Points
    I do have a backup from April. Don't know how or what to do with it.
  • RB09 0 Points
    Ok, I reverted to Apr update. Thanks!