This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

USB charge cable

I want to charge my dash cam and Garmin Nuvi 250W from a double outlet USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. The dash cam works fine but the Garmin seems to think it is plugged into a computer as this is what shows on the screen and no maps are available. Is there a way to overcome this problem such as a charge only cable and if so does anyone know where I can get one. Regards Alan

Comments

• alanb 347 Points
    edited July 2016
    Does the Garmin do this behavior on both ports of your USB charger? I have a dual port USB charger I use in my car, and it has a 2.1 amp port (marked A for Apple) and a 1.0 amp port (marked S for Samsung). Interestingly, my nuvi works fine on the 1.0 amp port but goes into computer mode on the 2.1 amp port. I wouild have suspected the opposite, but that's the way it is for me.

This issue has been discussed many times in this and other GPS forums. There doesn't seem to be a specific answer that applies to all cases. Sometimes a different USB cable helps, sometimes it takes a different charger. I think the only way to know for sure if a specific combination of cable/charger will work with a specific nuvi is to try it. If it works ... great! If it doesn't try a different combination of cable/charger.
  • Alan298 0 Points
    Hi alanb Thanks for your reply. I have tried both ports on the USB charger and used with different cables. All have the same result. The charger I am using is a Belkin with an output of 5 volts and 2.1 amps on both outputs. I am hopeful that if I can find a charge only cable it will solve my problem
  • privet01 142 Points
    It's really cheap and easy to add a second 12volt power point to your car. Then you can run your nuvi with the cable thats intended for it.
  • Alan298 0 Points
    Hi privet01Thanks for the advice but I would prefer to keep my car standard
  • alanb 347 Points
    edited July 2016
    I have a dual port charger like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301974276774. My 3597 LMTHD works fine when I plug it into the 1 amp port (marked S for Samsung), but does not work on the 2 amp port (marked A for Apple).

In my truck, I have a cheaper unit similar to this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/291813695706. Again, I get the same symptoms. My 3597 works great when plugged into the 1 amp port, but does not work in the 2 amp port.

For my older nuvi (a 755T), it will work with both adapters in either port. However, when plugged into the 1 amp port, it starts up in normal navigation mode. If plugged into the 2 amp port, it boots up in computer mode, but if I leave it for a minute or so, it will automatically reboot into navigation mode, then works fine.

That is my experience. For your nuvi, YMMV :)
  • Alan298 0 Points
    Hi alanb Thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestion and left the dash cam and GPS plugged in for 6 minutes. The dash cam works straightaway but the GPS stayed in computer mode for all of the six minutes. When I turn the ignition off the GPS goes from computer mode to navigation mode but that is working on its internal battery and not the car supply. Regards Alan
  • Alan298 0 Points
    I have had no further replies so I guess there is no answer to my problem. Just an update. My original charger had two outputs both of 2.1 amps. I have since tried a different charger with on output of 2.1 amps and the other of 1 amp. I have also tried numerous cables but each time it goes into computer mode. The markings on the original Garmin charger shows an output of between 4.9 and 5.25 volts at 1 amp. Going on that I would have expected the 1 amp on the last USB charger to have had it working but no luck