This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Way points lost in Gramin Etrex 10

I am doing some surveys in an estate using gramin etrex 10 GPS receiver and daily taking waypoints backup to my laptop.
I had taken 225 waypoints (starts from point number 518 and ended by 740) in a day and after my days work when I tried to download the waypoints, its only showing point number 709 to 740 only. points 518 to 708 were lost in waypoint.gpx file.
Here after 708 I switch off the receiver and switch on the receiver. Even I lost nearly 200 points,when I save another waypoint it saved as 741. as per my knowledge that means lost points are still in the memory.otherwise it will try to save point as 518. Is there any method to recover lost waypoints since it is very important and difficult to taken again those waypoints.

Comments

• sussamb 663 Points
    How are you trying to download them? Note that only the nearest 30 will be shown if you are simply looking in the Waypoint manager list on your Etrex. Your best bet is probably to use Garmins BaseCamp program and copy the data into that.
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    of course i down loaded the waypoint.gpx file by connecting to my laptop.but i didn't use Garmins BaseCamp program.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Then I'd try that before looking elsewhere
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    Not familiar with the eTrex 10, but other recent Garmin handhelds create a new waypoint file just about everytime you power them up. The .gpx files are all saved and will have names that include the date. My guess is that you aren't looking in the right place for the files.

But using Basecamp is a good suggestion, it takes care of all these details and organizes all the waypoints from the different files in one location, where you can then easily export.
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @boyd
    i checked with the Basecamp but still problem remains and it does not showing lost waypoints.it shows only one gpx file for today in gpx folder.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    edited July 2016
    I'm confused, in BaseCamp you should just see the data on your Etrex, not the individual .gpx files and folders?

Perhaps you could explain how you saved all these waypoints in the first place? Also when you look at the screen on the Etrex do you see the missing points?
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited July 2016
    The Etrex 10 has very limited internal memory and no SD card slot, so it is not unusual for this device to run out of storage space. Waypoints don't take much storage, but it is still possible that you have filled up the available space. When you connect your etrex to the computer, how much free space is shown in the internal memory?
  • sussamb 663 Points
    That could be the problem although the 10 should take up to 1000 waypoints ...

Must say I've never reached the point where any of my devices have been 'full' and had always thought there'd be some indication ... but maybe not ;)
  • alanb 373 Points
    I don't have any personal experience with the etrex 10, but I know I have read about storage issues with it over on the Geocaching forum. It seems like waypoint storage shouldn't be a problem unless you have also tried to install some maps or other large files. Also, if the etrex archives track files like many of the other handhelds, I could envision its small storage space getting filled up over time if you don't keep these archives cleaned up.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Agreed ... I would have thought though that there would be some indication, but maybe not, perhaps it just overwrites earlier files like it does with the track log?
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited July 2016
    Isn't the "official" copy of saved waypoints stored in and reloaded from protected memory, and the gpx file is just a copy (like on the nuvi?) I am not sure if the handlelds work this way. But if they do, I could see how the full set could show on the etrex screen, but the copy imported by BaseCamp would not be complete, assuming there was insufficient storage to save the full GPX file. I guess we need more information from @pskln212. about his free space and what he actually sees on the etrex screen
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    I think that is true for the Nuvi, but pretty sure Garmin handhelds are actually using the data in .gpx files on the user-accessible drive. So, if you delete one of those .gpx files then the waypoints will be gone.

I seem to recall getting a message about not having room for any more waypoints/favorites when I exceeded the limit a few years ago. Would be surprised if the device automatically deleted waypoints with no warning. That's not very user-friendly. :D
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited July 2016
    That's interesting Boyd and you are probably right. Although one of the ongoing problems across almost all the Garmin handheld series is what they commonly refer to as corrupt indexing where for no reason, some waypoints, geocaches, etc. will disappear from the list. Shutting down and rebooting doesn't help. You have to force an index rebuild by removing all GPX files, rebooting a clean system, then recopy the same GPX files back to the device and boot again. I guess that does confirm that the points are loaded at bootup form the GPX and not from protected storage, but apparently the index is somehow kept in protected storage.

Well, I am just thinking out loud, and guess I have convinced myself that my theory is not the OP's problem :))
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Nice theory though ;)

However Boyd's comment and your confirmation is correct, and is the reason BaseCamp can be used to directly alter/delete data on handhelds but not on their 'On the road' range.
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    my divice have enough space more than 7MB outof 8MB.therefore i think space does not come as my root cause.
    I taken those way points by using mark waypoint tool.
    @alanb
    I tried by removing gpx files in gpx folder and reboot as you told.but it failed
    Is there anyway to get files from protected memory.because i think if lost points numbers does not give automatically as the new waypoint numbers means those numbers still used in the device.
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    I found same issue happens to another user in following link.
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?324327-Etrex-10-lost-all-waypoints-and-tracks
    but i think he also couldn't find any solution.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    I asked if the waypoints show when you look for them on the screen of your Etrex, and how you were saving them on your GPS. Also, that if you're viewing the waypoints in BaseCamp you shouldn't be seeing, as you said you did, individual gpx files and folders but you've ignored all those questions. Perhaps you could answer those questions so we can help you better?

IF you can't see them on the screen of your Etrex then somehow they've been deleted.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    pskln212 said:

Is there anyway to get files from protected memory

I don't think there is any "protected memory" on your eTrex….
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    Yesterday was my first day with base map and it was my misunderstand that basemap is taken as gpx file wise.but i was wrong and it is taken as a device.
    The lost points were not showing on my map.but i thought when the device automatically not giving the lost point numbers as my next waypoint number, it may hide in the device memory.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    edited July 2016
    If the lost points aren't showing on the map on the Etrex you're out of luck. A master reset will set the way point numbers back to 0, I think otherwise all that's stored is the last number used.

What I still don't understand is why the points disappeared. I ask again, how were you trying to save them?
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    I couldn't see those in my map. In base my device showing directly without any gpx file.it is my misunderstand about baaemap showing files individually since yesterday wqs my first day that i used basemap.
    The reason that i said those point may in the memory because i thought if those lost point numbers will use automatically as my next point numbers if those not exist.but it doesn't happend.i dont know it is correct.
  • pskln212 5 Points
    @sussamb
    I took waypoint by using mark waypoint tool in the menu.here i click done button by button press when the point number and location coordinates showing on the screen.this method usually used by me.but it doesnot given any issue.
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Well I'm afraid it looks like those waypoints have gone, why will have to remain a mystery :)