This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

help with city maps

hi. I just purchased a garmin montana 680t and also the garmin city maps to go with it. my question is. is there a way to set up the map for walking around the citys. at the moment it just wants to route for a car. thanks. terry

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    Well that map is a road map so it will generally follow roads. However ensure you have a walking profile selected and not a driving one.

You should also try to find a more suitable map, which area are you interested in?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 2016
    Why do you think City Navigator is "unsuitable" for walking around a city? I don't see why that would be a problem.

Now I also have a Montana, and wouldn't think of using it for "walking around cities", it is just to big and bulky, and would make you stand out as a tourist. But that has nothing to do with the map. ;)

A smartphone is far and away the best device for walking around cities.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited July 2016
    The reason is that it won't contain the various footpaths, trails etc that someone on foot might wish to use :)

As to whether there are more suitable options, that wasn't what the OP asked. I agree the Montana is a bit bulky, if I need to use a GPS I take my Etrex 20 ;)
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Can't say that I've noticed a lack of "footpaths" on the City Navigator maps here in the US. ;) I have used it for walking around New York City without any problems. Used City Navigator EU walking around Athens and it was fine too.

But I don't blindly follow what any GPS tells me. If I see a shortcut that isn't on the map, I just take it...

• terry1956 0 Points
    ok, thanks. my reason for picking the montana is due to the fact that I can put it into an inside pocket and use the earphone for directions so know need to keep looking at it. No one sees it and I will not stand out. and I never said the map was unsuitable for town use. I asked if it could be set up better for walking.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Boyd said:

Can't say that I've noticed a lack of "footpaths" on the City Navigator maps here in the US. ;) I have used it for walking around New York City without any problems. Used City Navigator EU walking around Athens and it was fine too.

There aren't any footpaths are there lol

But yes, you can use the CN maps and like you I take shortcuts when I see them but there are more suitable maps for most places that show more than the CN maps will.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited July 2016
    terry1956 said:

ok, thanks. my reason for picking the montana is due to the fact that I can put it into an inside pocket and use the earphone for directions so know need to keep looking at it. No one sees it and I will not stand out. and I never said the map was unsuitable for town use. I asked if it could be set up better for walking.

I've answered that, but you may find more suitable maps that would make your experience even better. If you're prepared just to follow roads then stick with the CN ones.

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 2016
    I see, that is certainly an unusual way to use the Montana! Personally I hate the spoken directions and every Garmin unit I've ever owned is permanently on mute. I don't think I could use a gps like this, have seen too many examples of "goofy" routing that are immediately obvious when you look at the map. :)