This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Size Matters???

Currently have the Nuvi 2597 that is being transferred to our new 2016 Hyundai Tucson. Purchased a (apparently) stable CD mount to move it off the dash where it had been in our Elantra. Any recommendations of upsizing this to either the 6 or 7 inch equivalent so as to be seen more clearly? Find myself dwelling a touch longer that I would like when scanning the current 5 inch. I hear "rumors" that the 6 inch is the real sweet spot for most normal uses.

Thanks for any assist with this query.

Comments

• Boyd 1781 Points
    edited July 2016

I hear "rumors" that the 6 inch is the real sweet spot for most normal uses.

That's ridiculous. How could anybody possibly make such a generalization. For one thing, the distance from your eye to the gps screen makes a huge difference. The important question is, how much of your field of view does the GPS fill? A 7 inch screen can look smaller than 4" screen depending on how far away it is.

But if all things are equal - if you must mount the gps in the same place as your current 5" device - then I'd say "bigger is better". Of course, the other factor is whether the 7" unit will block something on your car, or if it will be too heavy for a "CD mount".

I make my own custom mounts and had a variety of 4" Nuvi models (650, 1350, 3490)., 5" Nuvi's (5000, 3550) and finally settled on the 7" Dezl 760 (which is the same hardware as the Nuvi 2797 IIRC). One advantage of the bigger screen is that it's easier to tap the "buttons".

But I mounted the 7" gps pretty far away, so it wouldn't block the radio, heater controls or AC vents. I am no longer using one of Garmin's dedicated GPS units, I use the Garmin StreetPilot app on my iPhone 6s Plus. It has a 5.5" screen, but I've found a really good mounting place between the tachometer and speedometer. So, visually, it appears to be larger than the 7" screen that was mounted farther away.

You could try cutting a piece of cardboard the size of a 6" and 7" GPS and take it out to your car to get some idea of the difference (the measurements should be on Garmin's product pages).
  • "You could try cutting a piece of cardboard the size of a 6" and 7" GPS and take it out to your car to get some idea of the difference (the measurements should be on Garmin's product pages)." I should have thought of that myself! As for "That's ridiculous...", please note that I used the term "rumor" in that sentence as I could not pin down any real specifics regarding the six inch sweetspot comments. Will try your suggestion. Thanks.
  • gpz1100 83 Points
    The idea above is a good one.

In my car (G37 sedan), anything bigger than a 5" obscures visibility. I have the gps mounted to the lower left corner of the glass. In the middle it would block even more. While a 6" gps will fit there too (lower left), the blockage would be annoying. Mind you, I only really use the gps when doing long roadtrips with custom routes. The car it self does have navigation too which is acceptable locally.

In addition, I sometimes use the smartphone and google maps. With the 5" pnd I can keep the mount in the same location to satisfy both devices. With a 6" device, when/if the phone is mounted, it would be too far towards the center line of the car.

Now, if I was driving a SUV or suburban or such large vehicle, then by all means a large pnd would be easier to see/read.