This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

post will appear after it's reviewed

This is really a forum policy question.

I wrote a very long answer to another thread and when I submitted it I thought it disappeared and was lost. So I laboriously (hear me panting and see me sweating! <<grin>>) wrote another one and when I submitted I noticed the very brief message stating that my post will appear after it's been reviewed.

So I guess I'm wanting to know is what criteria select a post to be reviewed?

Comments

• Boyd 1725 Points
    edited August 2016
    This topic has come up before, and hopefully Tim will weigh in. But I'm not sure that the reason is always clear. The simple answer is that something about your account or the content of your post caught the attention of the site's spam filters. See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/201880/#Comment_201880

This puts your post into the moderation queue and Tim generally deals with those himself. I can also approve posts from the queue, however I don't get any alerts that something needs approval and don't make any regular checks of the queue.

I agree, it would be nice if that message appeared in a box with an "OK" button so that the user would understand what's happening. I have also been the victim of the spam filter, and that notice really flashes by quickly.

Maybe there's a way that I can get alerts when something is in the queue? That might speed up the approval process a bit. But I suspect this is all a matter of fixing something that "ain't broke". I realize how frustrating it can be, but I don't think it happens very often or we would see more complaints.
  • privet01 142 Points
    Thanks..... you hit on the point I failed to emphasize--
    Boyd said:

...... it would be nice if that message appeared in a box with an "OK" button so that the user would understand what's happening............ and that notice really flashes by quickly.

I'm not too concerned with how long the review process takes. Though excess of 48 hours might be a tad troubling to me.

• Tim 1456 Points
    edited August 2016
    @privet01, typically, I'm on the site at least two to three times per day, but there are times when I'm away for a full day, or even a couple of days. This was one of those times when I was away from the site for the weekend. @Boyd is correct, that message most typically indicates your message was caught by a spam filter and is being held.

Typically, if the user is fairly well known to me I'll exempt the spam filter for all future posts from that user. It is unfortunate when this happens, and I agree the message interface is poorly designed. However as @Boyd indicates it is exceptionally rare that the spam filters mark ham as spam. It happens maybe once per month, but probably even less than that.
  • t923347 392 Points
    If the posts in http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30603/garmin-gpsmap62s-in-not-powering-on#latest were the ones that were held, it appears that they are now doubled up (It looks like 2 posts appear twice each).
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Yup, that was it. I've removed the dups.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    Noticed that earlier, but it appeared there were some differences so I left them alone. :)
  • privet01 142 Points
    I've got no issue with them getting caught by the spam filter and having to wait for approval. The fact that I missed the very brief message telling what was going on is the only real issue. As Boyd mentioned, having the message wait for the click an "okay" button would ensure that it was seen.

But in the grand scheme, it is not as bad as some of the annoying glitches I've experienced on other forums using high dollar software.