This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin 57lm

Hi

The unit is connected to the car and everytime i turn off the engine the 57lm shuts down aftwr 15 seconds. Is there anyway to disable this automatic shut down.

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    edited September 2016
    Yes .... install a power plug (cigarette lighter) in you car that is always powered. Most cars have some spare taps in their fuse block .... some constantly powered and some switched with the ignition. In my old hyundai elantra, I was actually able to make a fuse "jumper" that converted the cigarette lighter from switched to always powered. Here is a link to a post in another forum where I described the modification. hyundai-forums.com/showpost.php?p=718052&postcount=4

Note: Although this worked well for me and never created any issues, you may not want to try the method unless you are "comfortable" in messing with your car electronics. However, you could get a professional to install an additional "always powered" lighter plug ... it isn't that complicated and labor will cost way more than the parts.
  • t923347 414 Points

Hi

The unit is connected to the car and everytime i turn off the engine the 57lm shuts down aftwr 15 seconds. Is there anyway to disable this automatic shut down.

The right answer is as alanb notes above but an alternative for short periods is to press the Cancel button on the GPS screen that warns you that it will shut down in 15 seconds. This will allow the GPS to operate on battery power until it runs down.