This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Apple Watch Series 2 features built-in GPS, water resistance up to 50 meters

Boyd 1749 Points
edited September 2016 in GPS Discussions
Personally, smart watches don't interest me. But it strikes me that this product could be a serious competitor to Garmin's watches. Full pricing has not been announced but Apple says it starts at $369. That would be at the low end of Garmin's wearable line: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-cMultisport-p1.html

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/

Apple Watch Series 2 with built-in GPS lets you leave your iPhone at home when you go for a run or ride — and still measure your workout accurately. You can also do swim workouts in open water, track laps at the pool, or splash with your kids. And with the brightest display Apple has ever made, you’ll see your metrics clearly, no matter how much the sun glares.

Built-in GPS
Go. Even without your iPhone.
With built-in GPS, Apple Watch Series 2 can record precise distance, speed, and pace while you’re walking, running, or cycling outdoors. It picks up a signal right away, so you don’t have to wait to get moving. And when you’re done, you can check your iPhone to see a map of your route and where you ran your fastest.

Heart Rate Sensor
Keep an eye on your target.
A custom sensor continuously measures your heart rate while you use the Workout app. See it together with all your other important metrics — and even highlight it so you can check it at a glance.

Water Resistant
Splash. Surf. Swim.
Apple Watch Series 2 is rated water resistant 50 meters,1 so you can leave it on when you’re in the pool or ocean. Since a speaker can’t be sealed because it needs air to produce sound, we reinvented ours — it lets water in, then uses sound vibrations to force it back out.

Workout App
Sweat the details.
Choose from 12 indoor and outdoor workouts — including swimming, biking, running, and elliptical — then set your goals and get moving. However you work out, Apple Watch Series 2 accurately measures your movement. Select up to five metrics to view at once, automatically pause a run, and even mark segments.

Activity App
Get credit for every workout.
Like all your daily activities, your workouts count toward closing your Stand, Move, and Exercise rings. View a history of your rings on your iPhone to see your performance over time, and be inspired to pursue new goals.

Comments

• Tim 1457 Points
    Likewise, as a cyclist, looking to replace my Garmin Edge device, the Apple Watch is more compelling than the new Edge devices.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited September 2016
    I'm just the opposite. When I'm cycling, I don't want anything on my wrist.

I don't want anything more than what my old edge500 offers so there is no pressure for me to even look at or even consider the new offerings.

I suppose I've even gotten to old to even understand why anyone would want a "smart watch". My cynicism says it's just another marketing ploy to have everyone buy not only a new phone every 18 months but now they'll think they have to have a new watch every 18 months. <<grin>>
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    privet01 said:

When I'm cycling, I don't want anything on my wrist

Well then you could use the new iPhone, with the same water resistance as Garmin's devices. ;)

They may not get people to replace existing devices that serve their needs, but if someone doesn't already have one (especially young people), they are going to think twice before buying a dedicated unit.
  • Well I already have the edge500. Why would I want to use my smartphone? It is true that the smartphone can do pretty much everything that the the edge500 can do if the right apps are acquired. However the edge500 will last eleven hours or more on a full charge. I have no idea if my cell phone would last the six and a half hours it takes me to ride a 100 miles if I had all those apps running.
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    As I said, people will keep using their dedicated devices for now, but as time passes, fewer people will replace a dedicated device with another dedicated device.

They claim the new iPhone 7 runs 2 hours longer than the iPhone 6., I haven't run my 6s plus completely down, but got the idea it would go perhaps 6 hours while using GPS and the screen on. Battery cases and external batteries have gotten pretty inexpensive.

For me, not an issue, I don't go on 11 hour excursions anymore. :)
  • I haven't disagreed with any of your suppositions in this thread. I just stated my preferences and made a postulation or two.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    I too primarily use an Edge 500 while cycling. I haven't worn a watch in a very, very long time and I think I would have trouble getting used to it. But even with that said, I'm still considering getting a Series 1 (not the original, nor Series 2) as a replacement for my Edge 500. Here is why.

Right now my health data is split into two places. My iPhone's health app which tracks non biking activity as well as other health data like weight, blood pressure, etc. Then there is Garmin Connect which is where my biking activity goes. I really want it all in one place, and Garmin connect is only going to track my cycling data while my iPhone can track both.

I consider it a draw when it comes to heart rate monitoring... I don't love wearing a watch while cycling, but I also don't love wearing a heart rate monitor across the chest.

While I'm cycling, I really only care about occasional monitoring of my heart rate. Everything else isn't necessary while riding, but good to see the data after. So the watch might suit me just as well.

I always ride with my phone for safety reasons and so family can track me while I'm riding alone, therefore I don't really need the GPS in the Series 2, nor the extra waterproofing. Water resistance in the new Series 1 will do just fine.

So if I were to switch to the Apple Watch, I'd have all the health data I'd like to track in one place, plus I'd have the watch in case I decide to start wearing a watch on a regular basis. (Which is questionable... but who knows.)

We'll see, but the additional use cases for the Apple Watch (like maps on the device which my Edge doesn't offer) as well as everything else the watch can do might tip me to replace the Edge with the watch. The watch is pretty much the same price as the Edge 500 + heart rate monitor, but can do much, much more.