This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Oregon 450 connected to PC - shows as one drive or two?

OK, here is my issue. I have an Oregon 450 (and love it) but I am having an issue with my installed microSD card. I was trying to load a wherigo cartridge to it today, and I could not get it to work. When I plug in the Oregon to my laptop, I only see 1 drive letter listed (it used to be 2, I think?), and the only directory is \Garmin where the map image is. However, when I hit the WIG icon on the Oregon, I see the other WIGs listed that I have put on the unit previously. Once today, when I connected the Oregon, I did see the WIG folder, but accidentally closed the folder and could not open it again so I couldn't figure out what the heck is going on. I am thinking the next steps will be to put the sd card in a reader and see what the structure looks like, and connect the Oregon without the SD card installed and see what that looks like. Also, I am not sure how to properly format the SD card again if needed. I use OSM for the map image, and I have that backed up already, but I am not sure what else is stored on that card. Thanks, everyone!

Comments

• sussamb 655 Points
    Possibly the card has gone bad, to reformat it it must be formatted FAT32. If that doesn't cure it you may need a new card.
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    Sometimes the the card doesn't make good contact in the carrier on the GPS. Make sure that it is properly seated and that the metal cover is slid down and latched in place. IIRC, the Oregon will show as two drives if the card slot is empty, but when you try to open the empty one, your computer will tell you to insert a card.
  • OK, I am still tinkering, but I figured out some of it. When I take out the SD connect to my laptop, the Oregon shows up as drive letter G. I can see the WIG folder, and I was even able to move the cartridge that started all of this onto the unit. I powered up the unit and the WIG is there, but my OSM maps are not. So, everything is as it should be. I put the card back in, and connect it to my laptop again. The SD card is now shown as drive letter J, and it has only my OSM map image on it. I remove the Oregon from the laptop, power up, and my maps are now good, AND the WIG is there. So, what I can't figure out now is why only the SD card shows up when I connect the Oregon via USB to my laptop. My first guess is that it has to do with the setup of the Interface. I changed it from Garmin Serial to Garmin Spanner and plugged it in, and it immediately popped up that an SD card was detected, and did I want to change to mass storage mode. I did, and I only had access to the J drive, the SD card. So, I am stumped at this point, but at least I have a usable workaround for now.
  • Boyd said:

Sometimes the the card doesn't make good contact in the carrier on the GPS. Make sure that it is properly seated and that the metal cover is slid down and latched in place. IIRC, the Oregon will show as two drives if the card slot is empty, but when you try to open the empty one, your computer will tell you to insert a card.

Not sure I explained this very well or not above, but when I took the SD card out and connected the Oregon via USB, it only showed as one drive. Same thing (but different drive letter) when I plug it in with the SD card installed.
  • nevw 37 Points
    If I was intrigued by these mysterious goings on, I would install Javawa http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html and see if it could shed any light on the situation.