This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Oregon 450

Help my handheld gps said the batteries were low so replaced and it just will not go past the initial Garmin screen it just goes black. I was informed that if the settings were in correct ie alkaline instead of lithium batteries this could cause the problem but is there anyway i can rememdy this

Comments

• privet01 145 Points
    edited October 2016
    Sound's like you either put almost dead batteries back in it, or something else is up that will require a master reset. I don't know what the procedure is for that.

I don't think the battery type will cause that issue. My understanding is that the setting change is so the batter meter can estimate the correct amount of juice left in the batteries as the different types of batteries have a different current profile as they drain.

But I may be wrong...........................
  • sussamb 658 Points
    Sounds like duff batteries to me, try another set.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Just to verify that it works, you could try connecting it to an external power adapter if you have one, or to your computer. If you connect it to your computer, it may operate normally, may go into USB disk mode, or it may ask what you want it to do. That all depends on your menu settings.
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited October 2016
    Actually, I have had this same issue with my Oregon 550T and it has nothing to do with batteries (for me anyway). If the Oregon has some files it doesn't like (in my case some .jnx Birdseye files), it will exhibit these symptoms (going black while booting) whether on battery or plugged in to USB. I was able to get around the problem by doing the first part of a system reset (pressing and holding the screen while it was booting). After getting the prompt about deleting user files, I answer "No" and it completes the boot normally. And interestingly, it loads all the Birdseye images and works perfectly until I shut it down and reboot again. It will then exhibit the same symptoms. If I remove the offending .jnx files, it will boot and work without issue using the very same batteries. Go figure.

I had this same issue on one occasion with an apparently corrupt .gpx file containing geocaches on micro SD card (from geocaching.com pocket query). In that case, I could remove the SD card and get it to boot normally. Removed the .gpx file from SD, and everything was OK.