This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Restoring previous waypoints and tracks

Hi: I'm new to the GPS world so I hope this isn't a "dumb" question. Here it goes:
When I go for a hike with my etrek20x I record waypoints and tracks. When I get home I connect my handheld unit to the computer and the hike's data is uploaded to my copy of Basecamp. When I'm getting ready for my next hike I archive the current track and delete the current waypoints and create a backup to Basecamp. Later, after other hikes, I decide I'd like to go on the original hike again which means I'd like to download the waypoints and track from my earlier hike. So far I've been unable to find a way to download previous waypoints

Thanks for any suggestions.

Argus

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    If they're in BaseCamp you can just drag/drop them from there into your Etrex. Or right click them, select Send to and then select your Etrex.
  • Thanks for the answer.

When I connect to BaseCamp I see the data from the handheld unit load to the PC. I do the backup, delete the data from the handheld unit but when I do a restore, I no longer see the data I uploaded from the handheld, i.e., the most recent hike. So I guess my question should have been how to backup and restore correctly. Thanks again.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 2016
    Well that doesn't sound like you've loaded it into BaseCamp. BC will show the contents of your device but to get it into the BC data so its saved and shows without the device connected you need to drag/drop it from your device into My Collection in BC. You can check you've done it correctly by disconnecting your device; the data should still show in BC. Once you're happy it's there you can then delete it off your Etrex.

Note that backup/restore only works on the data in BC, not on data only on your device. That's probably why when you do a backup/restore you're not seeing your data.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 2016
    sussamb said:

Well that doesn't sound like you've loaded it into BaseCamp.

This was also what I thought when I read your first post that said "I connect my handheld unit to the computer and the hike's data is uploaded to my copy of Basecamp." I didn't respond because I wasn't sure what you meant by "uploaded". You must take specific action to copy data from your GPS to Basecamp. Otherwise, it is just showing you the current contents from the GPS itself, which it treats like a removable disk drive.

So did you actually copy data from your GPS to Basecamp, or were you assuming that happened automatically? If you made that assumption, I fear that all your hike data is gone… :(
  • Yes Boyd, I made that assumption that if I saw the new data in BC it was automatically copied when I plugged in the handheld.

So, if I follow sussamb's comments correctly, I'll need to click and drag the data I see in BC as being in the handheld up to "My Collection" to actually transfer the data to the PC. Then I can backup/restore to save the data. Later, I can click/drag data back to the handheld.

Thanks folks.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Yes, you have it right now. But the "backup/restore" is not a feature that is normally used very often. Typically, you only use that function if there's been some kind of problem (catastophic computer crash) or if you want to move your Basecamp data to a different computer. For normal day to day use, I don't think it's needed. Assuming that you already do full backups of your whole computer, I think that covers normal usage.

Restoring from a Basecamp backup assumes that you want to clear ALL your data from the program and re-load an older version. That isn't what most people want to do, normal operation would just be to continue accumulating data from the GPS and using it for various things within Basecamp.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 2016
    No need to backup/restore. When you close BC it saves its data. Backup/Restore is only needed when you want to backup your BC data, not when you just want to save it.