This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin BaseCamp Traffic

db2016 0 Points
Is there an option for BaseCamp to display traffic or approximate traffic conditions, road hazards, construction, etc? That would be extremely helpful when planning a trip.

Comments

• Boyd 1765 Points
    Unfortunately, all that you can do in Basecamp is use the map that is installed on your computer (or the map installed on your GPS, if it's connected). You can't even access all the features of the map itself in Basecamp. For example, no lane assist, no junction view. I don't think you can even view speed limits, can you?
  • db2016 0 Points
    As far as I can tell there are no features for traffic, junctions views, speed limits, etc. Also creating/modifying trips or finding alternate routes has been a bit frustrating.

However the GPS unit itself is great, came with lifetime maps and navigation so I got what I wanted. It's just unfortunate that the BaseCamp app has been disappointing.

Thanks for the info.
  • sussamb 657 Points
    Well BaseCamp does many things well, but its not designed to do what you want. Certainly creating/modifying routes is very easy, I use it for all my route planning both on my handhelds and automotive devices. If you're struggling with that there are now numerous YouTube videos that show how to do it.
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    sussamb said:

Well BaseCamp does many things well, but its not designed to do what you want.

I think that sums up a growing problem with Garmin. Their software and devices aren't keeping pace with newer "connected" apps. Hence, as we see here, users are finding that it "isn't designed to do what they want". :)
  • sussamb 657 Points
    edited October 2016
    BaseCamp development seems to have ground to a halt. The developers don't even contribute much anymore on their own forums after one of them left Garmin last year. So yes, it is what it is ... ;)