This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin StreetPilot app crashes at startup

Boyd 1724 Points
edited November 2016 in Smartphone Navigation
Noticed that Garmin finally updated the StreetPilot App last night - first update I've seen since I got the app almost a year ago. So I downloaded and…. boom! It crashes every time I try to open. Nice job Garmin, glad I don't need to use it today. :>

Couldn't find anything about it at Garmin support, which didn't surprise me. But at the App store there is a small note that says the following.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Some iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 users are currently facing an issue which prevents the app from launching after updating to this version (2.11). If you're experiencing this problem please delete the app and perform a new install to restore functionality!

We apologise for the inconvenience and are working on providing a fix version as soon as possible.

Will wait and see how soon they fix this. If I delete and re-install, I think I'll need to re-install the map and that took forever originally with my slow DSL connection (and Garmin's speedy servers).

Comments

• Boyd 1724 Points
    Well I just deleted and re-installed the app, and that fixed it. But not very happy with Garmin about this, has taken about 3 hours for the in-app download of the basic files and only the Eastern states, still need to download Junction view which is going to take another hour or so.

To add insult to injury, all the favorites I saved are gone now. I have a way of re-creating them one at a time, but it's a pain. X(

With only one update in a year, you'd think Garmin could get this right. Anyway, if you are using the StreetPilot App for iPhone (Garmin North America) then I suggest that you don't update it...
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Did the download take longer than it should have for the size? If so, are you using your ISPs default DNS servers on your phone/router?
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    I have Verizon DSL, which is all I can get in my location. I'm back in the woods almost 1000 feet of the road and there are no phone poles. And only 4 homes on my road anyway. Comcast and Verizon both have fiber running down the County Route, about 1/4 mile from my house, but it might as well be 100 miles away.

I am just waiting for cheaper LTE service, even with the 1 or 2 bar signal I get it's already twice as fast. State representatives are planning to take action against Verizon for the poor quality of their service in Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland Counties, evidently they have not lived up to the connectivity promises they made when getting regulatory approval. It isn't just the slow speed, but the constant problems.

On a good day I get 1Mbit/sec download. So "it is what it is". Between all the system files, junction view and the Eastern Map region, the full download was around 1.5gb and took almost 4 hours. I guess that's about what I should expect, actually faster than the last time I installed StreetPilot. One thing I learned is that you need to set the phone not to sleep (auto-lock OFF). Otherwise the download either stops or grinds down to a snails pace. This is not an issue when downloading from the app store, but these are in-app downloads.

Anyway, "enough about me". :) If someone else has the same problem and finds this thread, they should be aware that if they follow Garmin's directions ("If you're experiencing this problem please delete the app and perform a new install to restore functionality"), it will result in the loss of all their favorites.
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    edited November 2016
    The app store is showing an update to StreetPilot this morning. Since my version is working now, I'm going to leave well enough alone and not upgrade. According to the release notes, the only change is supposed to address the problems with crashing after updating.

Since there have been no other updates in the time I've used this app, I'm not sure if an update always causes the loss of favorites and the need to download the map again. So I'm not willing to find out the hard way. ;)