This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3590LM.

The suction cup released and fell from the window. Unfortuneately when I remounted the device my map data was gone. The device first says it is locked. When I get into settings there is only one line that suggests I have map data. All of the other map data listings have disappeared. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sussamb 764 Points
    edited November 2016
    If it said it was locked how did you unlock it? What does the one line in settings say?

As you have lifetime maps simply use Express and reload the maps, if indeed they have gone, but I can't see how your device being knocked has removed maps, unless you have a sd card installed with them on and the fall has affected the card. If you have one is it still there? If there is it seated correctly?
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    edited November 2016
    I've moved this thread to our Garmin Automotive forum.

If you were using an SD card, then I think @sussamb has the right idea.

What is the exact message when it "says it is locked"? Does it say something like "can't unlock maps" perhaps?

If the SD card isn't the problem, then it's possible that the fall broke some kind of internal connection or damaged a component. I wouldn't think a fall of a few inches to the dashboard would cause that, but anything is possible.

If that's the problem however, it's probably time to replace it. :(
  • Actually I never had a memory card in it. So that's not it. All I had were the installed maps installed prior to my purchase. As far as the fall after the disconnected suction cup... It fell literally an inch to the dash. The ball, mount and device fell 1 inch and leaned to the side. A true non event. I bought it new in May 2014 as a new item from old stock. However it had said "can't unlock maps." Immediately after the disconnected. That is now gone from the display. But my maps are not in the devise. When I go to put an address in device it says "No data..."

Help!
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    edited November 2016
    That message indicates that the map file was corrupted somehow. Try updating your maps with Express as @sussamb suggested.

But before doing anything, I suggest that you do a full backup of the Nuvi as described here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/
  • alanb 419 Points
    And just as a "heads up" ... the current map file will be significantly larger than the map was in 2014, so it might not fit in internal memory. Before you try to install the new map, get a micro SD card (8 GB or larger)