This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3450 screeen shows charging icon, but cannot turn off

I plugged my Garmin Nuvi 3450 into my computer to update the maps and it shows the charging icon. But I cannot turn it off or do anything with it. The charging icon shows and will not go away, making the device useless. Even after I plugged it into my car's holder nothing changes. It does not react to the on/off switch on top. What can I do to reset this device ?

Comments

• alanb 366 Points
    edited November 2016
    You could just wait until the battery completely drains until it shuts off, then plug it back into a charger for a few hours to see if it comes back to life. If you want to try something that won't take as long, take the case apart, unplug the battery cable, then reconnect the battery and see what happens. If you don't know how to take the case apart, some of the online battery stores that sell nuvi replacement batteries have videos showing how to do it. Just google for a replacement battery for your model nuvi and you will find these stores and videos.
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    When you say "it does not react", do you mean the screen continues to show the computer icon, or is it blank (doesn't turn on at all)? If it's on, did you press and HOLD the power button for awhile? It might take 10 seconds or even more. But pressing and holding the power button should force the unit to turn off.

You should then be able to turn it back on by either pressing the button again or just powering it up from the cigarette lighter.

OTOH, if the problem is that the screen won't turn on at all, then @alanb has provided a good suggestion.
  • I hope you have resolved this by now as I no nothing about the 3450, but I have experienced a "locked screen" situation many times that took a master reboot to recover from.
    As Boyd suggested on most models hold the on off button for an extended time say 30 seconds and it should reboot.