This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HOLY COW.... which one?

I pull a very small Travel Trailer, a Scamp camper on quite a few trips and outings. Only one time I found myself on a dead end street where I had to attach my hitch post wheel and unhook the camper to turn it around manually. I am glad it was a tiny 13 ft. camper and it walked around easily... but I was frustrated finding myself on a dead end!
Questions.... Are the RV specific GPS units as capable as they are marketed to be? Propane restrictions? Low bridges? Sharp turns or road restrictions for RVs? AND... what the heck are the differences between these Garmins... RV 760 LMT and the RV 660 LMT???????? I am getting very confused at reading the info on these two.
Thanks for any info you can help me out with...
Ralph & Peggy

Comments

• privet01 145 Points
    If you only view them as assistants that might make a mistake occasionally, then they might be helpful.

At least if it gets you into the same situation again, you can direct your anger to it. Misplaced though it is. <<grin>>

Here is a link to Garmin's comparison of the two.....
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=135455&compareProduct=524447

I don't use these types of gps's. So I can't really tell you much from experience. However I've seen posts here and elsewhere. I think the praise outweighs the cursing. But realize that map data which this device depends on may be inaccurate in some areas.
  • Thanks for your input... I am finding that the RV specific GPS units are not really very helpful over the regular GPS units. I know they all error from time to time... I have a few funny stories about that. But I was hoping to find that the specific features in the RV types are more helpful for those that travel with Rv's etc. I am finding that may not be the case... thanks again!
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    edited November 2016
    I have a Dezl 760 which I think is the same hardware as the 760 RV but software geared toward commercial trucks. I only use it in automotive mode in a car however, I got it because of the big screen and an obscure geeky feature that allows me to use special hack to change the screen layout.

Anyway, you are going to get the same map on any of these as a regular automotive model such as the Garmin "Drive" devices or older Nuvi series. What sets them apart is a special POI database geared to the needs of RV users (such as campsites), and more importantly, the ability to create a "vehicle profile" that includes the dimensions and weight of your vehicle.

This ties in with a specialized database of road conditions that is not available on the automotive models, and it can warn you against taking roads that are too narrow, too steep, low bridges and places where large vehicles are not allowed. Since I don't use my Dezl in this manner, I don't know how well all of this works, but at least in theory it should be a nice thing to have.

One approach would be to take your best shot and purchase one of these from a vendor that has a liberal return/exchange policy (Best Buy, Amazon and others). Then just get out and use it right away. If it doesn't meet your expectations, you could always return it.
  • privet01 145 Points
    Just curious... the warnings about narrow roads and bridge height derived from that special POI database? There isn't similar data in the map data?
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    I always assumed it was data not available on a regular nuvi, but to be honest, I don't know for sure. Regardless, the data would not be accessible on a Nuvi. A Nuvi doesn't know the size and weight of your vehicle and can't use that info to calculate routes.