This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan 6000T vs NUVI 360

grey 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I'm thinking of getting myself new GPS for upcoming travel season.
Like a couple weeks ago I was pretty sure about buying 6000T. I used 3050T for couple of month, but needed text-to-speech, but then I told myself to look into Garmin, taking into account support problems with Magellan. I came across NUVi 360. They are in the same category.

I need GPS for navigation, so I don't care about MP3 or picture viewer.

Both of them use NAVTEQ, but what I like more in 6000T is 4 options for routing, especially "most use of freeways" and "least..", NUVI has only shortest time and shortest distance, and it doesn't ask you before calculating route, right?

I need lots of POIs (that's why I turned down Magellan 2XXX series). Both are the same.

"Vias"..I didn't use them with 3050, so I don't know if I would need them, but it nice to have such option.

Magellan displays POIs icons on screen and you can see where bank or dining is without typing anything. You touch the icon and see what it is, phone # and slect to route there. Does NUVi have the same capability? I haven't seen anything like that on screen shots.

Does NUVi warns you about upcoming turn in 2, 1, 0.5 miles like Magellan does?

Bluetooth...I don't need it for right now.

And MAgellan is over $50 cheaper.

I used to put my 3050 down by the shifter without any problems in reception. Would NUVi be the same? I would imagine, because both are using SIRFIII.
I'm thinking...Any other pro's and con's?

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Both of them use NAVTEQ, but what I like more in 6000T is 4 options for routing, especially "most use of freeways" and "least..", NUVI has only shortest time and distance, and it doesn't ask you before calculating route, right?
    Correct. However you can set preferences for "avoidances". You can tell it to avoid u-turns, highways, toll roads, etc. In other words if you don't tell it to avoid freeways then it will use them most of the time if it makes sense in the route.
    Magellan displays POIs icons on screen and you can see where bank or dining is without typing anything. You touch the icon and see what it is, phone # and slect to route there. Does NUVi have the same capability? I haven't seen anything like that on screen shots.
    Not really. You can view them while searching the map, but they don't show up in the 3D view like the Magellan and TomTom devices.
    Does NUVi warns you about upcoming turn in 2, 1, 0.5 miles like Magellan does?
    I'm not sure of the exact distances it provides warnings at, but yes it does provide you with a couple of warnings before the turn.
    I used to put my 3050 down by the shifter without any problems in reception. Would NUVi be the same? I would imagine, because both are using SIRFIII.
    Yes, they would be similar.

If you know you won't need Bluetooth then consider the Garmin Nuvi 350 which is the same as the 360 but without Bluetooth.
  • grey 0 Points
    Ok, so I put my order on..........................NUVi 350. :o
    Will see what happens. I hope I won't be much disappointed. :roll: :)

Did anybody compare screen viewing quality of Roadmates 6000T/3000T and NUVIs 350/360? Some people complain that it's not that good for off-axis viewing. Can comebody comment on that?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't have a 6000T or 3000T with me at the moment to test. But I do have a few devices from about the same age and with the same screen size with me right now. The TomTom ONE and Mio c310x I have with me at the moment are both quite readable from wide angles.

The Nuvi 350 I have with me right now is not as readable from wide angles, however I've never had any problems reading the Nuvi 350 screen in a vehicle. I needed to turn the screen about 30° or more before it became totally washed out while the other two devices I mentioned were much more readable at 45°+. Still, I don't think you will be displeased with the display on the Nuvi 350.