This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Driveassist 50 LMT-D

Hi,

Just purchased the Driveassist 50 LMT-D and have two issues:

1.) An "Event Saved" alert keeps popping up every couple of minutes. I can click it away or it disappears on it#s own, but it's incredibly annoying and distracting. Also interrupts the voice prompts. I've tried but can't figure out how to turn ithis off. Any ideas?

2.) I live in Germany (I'm American) and bought a version that came installed with Europe maps and seems to have a UK based design. I'd really like a US English voice but cannot find anywhere online a place to buy this (you'd think they#d be happy to take my money). Garminexpress has a store but when I navigate to the voices area it is either empty (Mac) or a message comes up saying these items are no longer available (Windows 10). Really???? They use American English voices on US units, but I can't buy that for mine?

I'd really appreciate help with either or both of these issues.

Thanks and best,

Erik

Comments

• sussamb 671 Points
    Can't help with 1) but for 2) run Express and look under optional updates, download the English voices which include British, US and Australian voices.
  • Thanks for the response. I've tried a few times to install that optional update (using both mac & windows 10) and it always gives an error message. On the mac no reason is given, on windows it says there is not enough room to save the update. This makes no sense as only half of the memory on the device is being used and the update is about 300 Mb - there is much more than that free.

I even tried deleting all the languages I don't care about from the unit (most) to make space, but the same thing happened.

Any idea why?

Thanks again,

Erik
  • sussamb 671 Points
    No. I've always been able to do so. However since you appear to be using a mac ensure the trash is empty or what you think may be free space might not exist.
  • But the free space refers to the GPS unit, not the computer. The update goes directly to the unit. In any case, the mach has over 150 Gig free space. Thinking of returning the Garmin and getting a TomTom.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    If you used a mac on the GPS there will be a trash that will need emptying, one of the penalties of using a mac. Now of course that may not be the issue in your case but you do need to eliminate it as the cause of your problem. If it's not that then you shouldn't have an issue. If having eliminated the trash it still doesn't work post back as there are other things to try.
  • OK, will try but I'm 99.99% sure that's not it. I empty the trash regularly, there is plenty of room on both the computer and the gps unit. This not to mention that's I've tried this update both on the mac and later on windows and the windows is a brand new laptop, got it last week. The windows is where it said not enough room. So the problem follows between computers.

I'm very interested in the other things to try, can you elaborate?

thanks
  • sussamb 671 Points
    edited November 2016
    If there is a trash full of files on your device it will follow to the windows PC. Anyway check and see if the trash is empty or not, unless you've emptied it then all those voices you said you deleted will be there.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited November 2016
    Here's a free utility that will delete all the un-needed junk from the GPS when you remove it from the Mac. The same author also has several other nice free utilities for working with Garmin devices. http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html

But it wouldn't surprise me if the problem is just related to Garmin's own buggy software. It wouldn't be the first time. ;)
  • Thanks - is TomTom any better? Thinking of returning this (paid top dollar for buggy software?) and trying theirs.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    edited November 2016
    If you have trash problems then that'll happen with a TT also ;)
  • sussamb 671 Points
    I'm aware in all of this we haven't answered your point 1) but I don't have that model. I suspect there is a setting somewhere though that defines how/when events are saved.
  • Ok, thanks. I called Garmin support who told me:

1) I can go under settings/maps/ and there should be a checkbox that I can uncheck for "Audible alarms for the driver". I am not with the unit at the moment and I can swear I've checked all the settings multiple times, but I will certainly check later.

2.) According to Garmin support here (as I mentioned at the top I'm in Germany), it is not possible to install the American English voice on the European model. Hard to believe, though - I mean if I could get my hands on a .vpm file (got one to share? :P), I could simply drop it in the voice folder, no? Although I'm not clear if that would be TTS and I'd get the street names. But I was very clear with my question and they went and checked and were very clear with their answer - not possible. But I will investigate the trash thing (though as I said, the GPS unit shows that it has over 2 Gig free, both before and after erase those voices, which after all, aren't all that big).
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Just stating the obvious… have you contacted Garmin support about this? https://support.garmin.com/en-US/
  • erikfeder 7 Points
    edited November 2016
    great minds think alike - see above (key point though - I'm in Germany)
  • sussamb 671 Points
    I can't believe the answer they gave you for 2), unless they have done something funny on that particular model. It won't be the only time though Garmin Support have been wrong about something.

I can certainly provide a file for you to try, but probably not until tomorrow. PM me your email address ...
  • Thanks, will PM - will the file be TTS?
  • sussamb 671 Points
    I can give you both TTS and non TTS I think, but I need to check
  • Great - sorry to be a bit thick, but I just clicked on your name and am not seeing where to PM you.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited November 2016
    The PM feature of this site was phased out long ago. Long ago. ;)

It might still work for some older members contacting each other however, haven't tried for awhile. But new members have not been able to PM for quite awhile.
  • Life on the edge:
  • my name with an underscore between first and last
  • sussamb 671 Points
    edited November 2016
    When you click on my name don't you see an Activity box? I do. Type the message in there, that used to work, received last one in Aug 2015 ...
  • you should see my info now - thanks much for trying, whether or not it works
  • sussamb 671 Points
    Yep, got it, thanks. I'll email them later
  • awesome - thank you both!
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    sussamb said:

When you click on my name don't you see an Activity box?

Cool, never noticed that feature in the current forum software. B-) I just remember the old "PM" feature was phased out.
  • Just got home and emptied my mac trash (voice files were not in there, but I did it anyway) and had the same problem with the optional language install (English) - progress bar fills up to about 80%, then quits and the error message appears - I took a screenshot but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to attach it. Anyway all it said was "There was an error installing the update".

Very helpful info they provide!

I also don't think the info provided by support for my issue #1 is accurate - there is only the option to disable exceeding the speed limit and things like that - I want that, my issue is with the constant "Event Saved" popping up. But will head out for a drive and try it...
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited November 2016
    Don't know if this will help or not on the "Event saved" issue, but I suspect the message is related to the dash cam functions. I found this in the user manual, but I am not familiar with this model, so I don't know what you can or can't turn off:
    Enabling or Disabling Advanced Driving Assistance Features

You can enable or disable advanced driving assistance features in the camera settings (Camera Settings).

Select Settings > Camera.
    Select or clear the check box next to each warning or alert.
    I would probably try turning some alerts off one at a time to figure out which one is causing the frequent Event Saved alerts.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Does TomTom even make a device with a dash camera? I know TomTom is more popular in Europe than in the US, but I don't recall seeing a TT model with an integrated dash cam.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    erikfeder said:

awesome - thank you both!

Should have some emails now ...

• erikfeder 7 Points
    edited November 2016
    Here's a quick update - I got the files from sussamb (thank you so much!) and have simulated a drive (too late to go out on the road here in Germany) and it seems to be working. Very, very cool and amazing that it was A) so easy and B) so difficult, in that they wouldn't just provide me the files.

I did receive an email from US Garmin support indicating that downloading the optional english install would also work, but as I wrote I'm having trouble doing that. I let them know about this, I'll update if there are developments on that front.

I also got an email from Garmin US support which states (very similar to what Alan wrote) that "You can disable this option in the camera settings. Garmin DriveAssist 50 - Stopping or Starting Dash Camera Recording"

Here's what I wrote back to them "In Camera Settings, I see two related things: "Record on Startup" and "Automatic Incident Detection". Do I need to disable both? And if so, does this completely disable the camera from recording? This wouldn't make sense to me - I want the camera to record, I just don't want it to tell me every two minutes that it's recording. If I have to stop the camera completely, why own this unit? Hopefully I can disable alerts while still allowing the camera to record."

I'm hopeful that disabling "Automatic Incident Detection" does the trick - seems most likely - and that the camera will still record. Will try tomorrow and give an update.

Lastly, Alan is right that TT doesn't have an integrated Dash Cam. The plus for me with the top of the line TT (Go 5200) is that it has lifetime world maps and a sim card for traffic, which helps when we visit the states. I assume I won't have a problem buying the US maps from Garmin if I stay with this unit, but after all this (especially the download problems) I have to admit, I'm nervous about that.

Thanks again.
  • Im sorry Im late to the party.
    Have you tried the old and trusty webupdater to install the voice files?
  • Not sure what webupdater is - through Garminexpress I tried installing the optional english files. Seems that Garminexpress currently has a problem with the Driveassist (or just mine?) as I've verified that the problem is not computer or platform specific (tried on mac OS and Windows 10). So maybe a software update comes out that rectifies the problem? If not, how would I download additional maps? Is webupdater something different from garminexpress where I might be able to do that?
  • sussamb 671 Points
    No, WebUpdater is for updating software not maps. There was also a program called MapUpdater that updated maps. Both have been replaced with Express since folks used to complain that having separate apps for them wasn't sensible.

Some though felt this was a retrograde step as Express initially wasn't liked by many, as it has to deal with every conceivable situation on every device, including now all Garmin fitness devices, so the software could struggle at times. However for a few years now it's generally been stable when updating Garmin's 'on the road' and 'on the trail' range. There are frequent updates for it, but these are normally to cope with yet another fitness device.
  • Hopefully I can get express to work for me then.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    erikfeder said:

The plus for me with the top of the line TT (Go 5200) is that it has lifetime world maps and a sim card for traffic, which helps when we visit the states.

So now you are thinking that you don't want a Dash Cam? :|

Do you have a smartphone? Have a look at the TomTom Go Mobile app (versions available on both iOS and Android). It has world maps and a lot of other features. I had a TomTom GO 920 long ago, but haven't looked at the newer GO models. But I assume the app is similar. Maps are permanently stored on the phone so you don't need cell service for basic navigation (although it would be needed for traffic).

You can use it for 50 miles per month with all the features at no charge, have been playing with it myself and it's pretty nice. If you like it, then it costs $20/year. For someone who needs maps of different regions, this seems like a very nice deal.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/sat-nav-app/go-mobile/
  • OK, thanks. I like the Dash Cam and I will stay with Garmin if all the issues are resolved - but with express not working right I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the US maps I need before our trip back to the states. If that's the case then I'll be checking out the TT & related apps.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited November 2016
    Well you could order the SD card map if you're concerned about that issue. But unless they have recently changed things, Express is not needed to purchase maps - I purchased City Navigator a few years ago for my Montana and all I had to do was go to the website, connect my GPS and make the purchase.

Realize though that supplemental maps don't include junction view, they are locked so they only work with the GPS you use at time of purchase, and they cannot be updated. If you want a newer map in the future, you have to purchase another one at full price.
  • "and they cannot be updated"

I had no idea about that - that kinda sucks. But we don't visit the states often so won't use it much.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    IMO, Garmin's automotive devices are not a very good deal if you need more than one region. They used to made a model with US and EU lifetime maps pre-loaded, but I don't see it in their current lineup. But the Nuvi 2577LT gives you both US and EU without lifetime updates. I think you would get junction view for everything with one of these, and you could add a lifetime subscription later.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-2577lt/prod122520.html
  • Thanks, but if I send the driveassist back and get something new, it'll be the TT GO5200.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    To get back to voices:

"According to Garmin support here (as I mentioned at the top I'm in Germany), it is not possible to install the American English voice on the European model."

This simply isn't true.
    I live in Germany, have owned more than one EU model - and have always installed American voices (as well as any other I wish) on my Garmin nuvis.

I agree with succumb:
    "I can't believe the answer they gave you for 2), unless they have done something funny on that particular model."
    Very funny.
  • succumb sent me some vpm files which are working fine, so it seems the person I spoke to at Garmin support Germany doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. Weird that they wouldn't provide it though. Maybe if garminassist was working for me it wouldn't have been an issue.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    erikfeder said:

succumb sent me some vpm files

LOL :)) Note that it is @sussamb and not "succumb".
  • ha - succumb to the power of garmin!
  • Just wanted to follow up on this thread:

My issue #2 about having access to an American English voice has been "solved" in two ways:

First, @sussamb very kindly sent me .vpm files, which are working. Second, he and others have indicated that I could download the optional English updates from garminassist, which should also accomplish what I want. Unfortunately, i can't get garminassist to download that update - it does however seem to work fine when updating the unit.

Issue #1 regarding the event saved popping up has been answered pretty well by Garmin International:

"This message is appearing because the device thinks there is an incident so it is saving that event automatically. The event detection may also be caused by the forward collision sensitivity settings.

As long as there is enough memory on the SD card in your device, the device will record the video and you can be manually save it. If the Automatic Incident Detection is disabled and the video can be saved manually. The message Event Saved will always automatically appear when it is automatically recording an event.

Disable the Automatic Incident Detection, check the sensitivity settings, and/or even try moving the device to a different location. For example, If you have it on your dash, try attaching it to the window."

I did disable the Automatic Incident Detection and the event saved messages are occurring much less frequently.

I've also asked about my problems with Garminassist, but as of yet haven't gotten an answer. I guess that should be a different thread anyway.

Thanks for the help on this, will mark as answered.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    What is Garminassist? Never heard of that before...
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    @erikfeder,
    Are you, perhaps, referring to Garmin Express?

When Express is working properly - not always the case, however - it will offer the opportunity to download and install stuff, such as any voices not installed already on your gps, vehicle icons, etc.

Download the latest version of Express; see if it works for you. It is updated frequently. It is also buggy.
  • yes, my bad, I meant express. Have tried numerous times on mac and windows 10 with no luck. Maybe a forthcoming update will help.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    edited November 2016
    I run Mac; it is at v4.4.1.0

Are you saying that you cannot download it? Or it isn't offering you downloads?