This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

What determines map icons ?

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but wondering what determines map icons ? What I mean is, I see icons for "Wendy's", "Boston Pizza", so I'd expect to see one for the more popular, ie. "McDonalds". Being in Canada I suspect only US brands for some ? i.e. I see for "Shell" but not "Esso" (though owned by Exxon) ? Maybe companies pay for the privilege ?

Comments

• t923347 414 Points
    arrow201 said:

Maybe companies pay for the privilege ?

I would suspect that this is exactly how a particular icon shows up.

• privet01 195 Points
    t923347 said:

arrow201 said:

Maybe companies pay for the privilege ?

I would suspect that this is exactly how a particular icon shows up.

As a simple answer, I agree that is true for some POI's and possibly for a majority of them. But I think the more complicated and real answer is how the creator, be it a company or individual is able to get that information and how they derive the revenue to compensate them their time to create such a database.

• Ok then who pays for those insane fuel bowser symbols at every truck stop when there isn't an oil company outlet within miles. I would love the option to turn off all except custom POIs so I can manage what shows up.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    edited December 2016
    Depending on which Garmin you have you can. My 2508 will only show custom POIs unless I elect to turn on others.
  • Which I had that option on the 2797.