This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Here come the Apple mapping drones

Apparently they are serious about challenging Google Maps. The part of the article about indoor location tracking is also interesting.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-01/apple-said-to-fly-drones-to-improve-maps-data-and-catch-google

The Cupertino, California-based company is assembling a team of robotics and data-collection experts that will use drones to capture and update map information faster than its existing fleet of camera-and-sensor ladened minivans
______

Apple filed for an exemption on Sept. 21, 2015, from the Federal Aviation Administration to fly drones for commercial purposes, according to documents obtained by Bloomberg News
______

Apple’s application told the FAA that it would use a range of drones sold by companies such as SZ DJI Technology Co. and Aibotix GmbH to collect the data.

Comments

• privet01 145 Points
    I guess I can't skinny dip or run around naked on the back 40 anymore. <<grin>>
  • alanb 353 Points
    edited December 2016
    Why not? ... doubt if the apple drone is interested in your privates :-O

I meant private property of course :))
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited December 2016
    The laws here in the USA will probably consider such as a sex offense. The laws nowadays do not require any one to have been harmed. Just that they can find evidence to make a construct.

But the pun's are :))