This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 500 Replacement?

hoserRZR 81 Points
edited December 2016 in GPS Recommendations
I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 500 for my GPS unit in my Polaris RZR-S I would like to upgrade to something with a larger screen and more Off Road features than the Nuvi 500, waypoints, tracks, routes etc.. This will be mounted and used exclusively in the RZR Off Road.

Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• privet01 145 Points
    if you are wanting "off road" only, then I'd think you'd want to look at the Garmin "On the trail" devices or whatever they classify them as now. Screen size will suffer though unless you shell out big bucks. Many have an optional accessory to tap into a 12 volt system, though battery life tends to be very good at 11 plus hours.

If you are a computer programmer and/or very tech savvy, then the garmin glo with a tablet computer may give you the largest screen possible, but you then have to either find or write your own interface.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    edited December 2016
    No need to be a programmer if you want to use a phone or tablet. There are many, many apps available and almost all of them work in basic mode for free. Then if you like the app, typically the cost of a "pro version" is in the $10 to $20 range, so it's nothing like purchasing a dedicated device.

For Android, I like OruxMaps and the best part is that it's free. It can work either online or with maps stored on the device. A variety of maps come with the software, you can purchase specialized maps, or you can make your own. This is more complicated, but you certainly don't need to be a "programmer". The USGS has a tutorial here: https://www2.usgs.gov/core_science_systems/access/summer_2013/article-1.html

On iOS I like the Galileo app. It isn't free, but IIRC the pro version cost me $9. But there are many other apps for both iOS and Android. I have a GLO and like it for a variety of reasons. But I would not consider it a necessity, especially if you have a newer phone. My iPhone 6s Plus has a pretty good built-in GPS that receives the GLONASS satellites just like the newer Garmin handhelds. I don't bother with the GLO for use in the car anymore.

If you want to stick with Garmin, look for a refurbished Montana 600, they can usually be found for around $300 - I see a Montana 600t refurb at GPSCity now for $330 (same thing but it includes a pre-loaded Garmin 100k US Topo).

I have a Montana 600 and have been very happy with it, the 4" screen is bigger and better than the Nuvi 500, it runs much longer on batteries and has more map options, such a satellite imagery and scanned USGS topo maps from Garmin's Birdseye series.

Also has some very sophisticated features that let you automate common tasks and customize almost every aspect of the device. You would also need a mount, Garmin sells a few different ones and there are also third part mounts.

If you have some disposable income, there's also the new GPSMap 276cx with a 5" screen and pushbutton interface for $800. :-O http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30653/the-legendary-all-terrain-navigation-equipment-is-back-gpsmap-276cx/p1
  • Thanks for the replies, anybody else?

Boyd you seen anything with/for the Raspberry Pi used successfully?

I started this app still trying to find time to finish http://www.pilotodyssey.com/AI/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Sorry, I don't know anything about the Raspberry Pi.