This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin eTrex 30 creating waypoints automatically

Hi there,

I've been using my Garmin eTrex 30 for a while now and noticed it automatically creates waypoints when I use it on the field. Apparently these waypoints show up in points of interest.

Is this an issue or just bad configuration? Can anyone help me disable this, since I can't find an option to do this?

The issue with this functionality is that I end up with hundreds of random new waypoints every time I end my exploration day.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sussamb 634 Points
    My Etrex 20 only occasionally enters random waypoints, but then it's normally in my pocket. I've noticed it happens less when the screen faces my leg rather than pointing outwards.

If you're really getting hundreds how are you carrying it?
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    I had one of the old eTrex models many years ago. This happened to me frequently because the thumbstick would get pressed accidentally in my pocket and it was one of the things I disliked about it.
  • sussamb said:

My Etrex 20 only occasionally enters random waypoints, but then it's normally in my pocket. I've noticed it happens less when the screen faces my leg rather than pointing outwards.

If you're really getting hundreds how are you carrying it?

I'm actually carrying it on my backpack's waist pocket most of the time, which is quite loose, and I usually leave the GPS on the trip monitor mode, which does nothing if the joystick button is pressed, its mainly locked at that point, so it would be impossible for the button to be pressed accidentally.

If its not on that pocket, its on my hand.

Is this some kind of feature? Because its super annoying to have it automatically do things I don't want it to.
  • Boyd said:

I had one of the old eTrex models many years ago. This happened to me frequently because the thumbstick would get pressed accidentally in my pocket and it was one of the things I disliked about it.

Yes, its quite annoying. Nothing that would stop me from using it though.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    If you don't think it's accidental button presses, then maybe something is wrong with your eTrex? I have not see any other reports of "hundreds of random new waypoints" being created on the eTrex.
  • sussamb 634 Points
    Agreed, the odd random one but not hundreds ...
  • Ok, I'll try holding the GPS on my hand next time and testing it. If its not a feature, it might be an issue or the pocket is not as loose as it looks from the outside.

Thanks for the information :)
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    My "automatically generated" waypoints on my 20 were always the result of the joystick being pressed while in a pocket.

I bought a camera belt-pouch for it, and cut off part of the front (in a V-shape) - the part that is in front of the stick. The 20 lives facing out. There is now nothing to press the stick in normal use.