This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 2699LMTHD Micro SD card protrudes from surface of Nuvi

Please see attached photos showing on my Garmin Nuvi 2699LMTHD the Micro SD card sticks out from the surface of the device approx.1-1.5mm this has been an issue when handling the device or re-positioning on the dash if my hand contacts the card it will inadvertently cause the card to eject and the Nuvi to do a re-start. None of my older Garmin Nuvis have had the memory card sticking out so far as to cause such a issue.
I have contacted Garmin and their reply is that this is not a design defect or oversight and they suggested to me to return this one and purchase a different model that has the card slot in a different location on the device I was not impressed by the reply.
So I would like to know if any other users 2699's have their card sticking out the same as mine is, if this "is what it is" then I'll most likely just keep this model and try to be more careful when handling it.

Thanks, Bob

imageimage

Comments

• sussamb 616 Points
    I've not seen a card protrude that far on any Garmin device. As I mentioned on another forum I'd take it back to the retailer as it seems to me there is a fault with your device. Equally I've never looked at a 2699 so I guess it's also possible it's normal.
  • Thanks. I just may do that BTW I am the same person who messaged you earlier on the other forum.
    Bob
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    edited December 2016
    "I have contacted Garmin and their reply is that this is not a design defect or oversight and they suggested to me to return this one and purchase a different model "

If I understand this correctly, Garmin told you that "it is what it is" and suggested getting a different model if you don't like it.

Now I agree it's a bad design, but taking them at their word, sounds like they gave you an honest response. But since it bothers you, wouldn't be a bad idea to look at another 2699 and see if it's the same. As others have noted in the past, Garmin support doesn't always have the right answer. ;)
  • Absolutely. I am hoping as well that there are some other 2699 owners on the forum that can provide some input since I will be unable to check it with another for a couple weeks. I do love the GPS quite an upgrade from my old Nuvi 255W.
    Bob
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Well, I'm pretty late to this thread/party, but the SD card on my 2699 sticks out exactly as shown in your pictures. Fortunately it has never been a problem for me and I have never accidentally popped it out. Makes me have second thoughts about that and maybe a small piece of black Gorilla tape over it might be in order?
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    It is bad design. The card should never protrude like that and its not like theres no room inside th device to have the slot properly set.
    Garmon quality is going down the drain lately but their prices keep being premium... Not a good sign.
  • sussamb 616 Points
    Strange that it does on that model then, its been flush on all models I've used/had/have.
  • Bobakman 0 Points
    Yep my previous models as well are all flush or somewhat sub surface. Somehow commonsense in design has been forgotten with this model. Other than this issue I am quite happy with the GPS.

Bob