This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Voice command oddity

Hi all. New to the forum. I recently bought a refurbished Nuvi 2599LMTHD. Still getting used to it but so far I think it's awesome, especially compared to my old Navigon 2100. I've tweaked some settings to suit myself but have left the start-up phrase "voice command" as is. Works well enough. So today when I drove from my house to do an errand, I had it on in map mode as usual. After driving a ways, I realized I had forgotten to put something in the car that I needed. I blurted out [profanity warning here] "Jesus Christ!", and the Nuvi responded with "say a command" just as it would have if I had said "voice command". Surprised the heck out of me, and it makes me wonder if there are other undocumented / secret phrases that will launch it. The two don't sound alike at all. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Have you experimented with different phrases just to see what works?

Comments

• t923347 414 Points
    It happens sometimes but not often. I've always written it off as something someone has said in the vehicle or something that was said over the radio that the Nuvi took as one of it's stored commands.
  • privet01 195 Points
    edited December 2016
    My smartphone with google talk or whatever the proper name for it does that. Annoys the heck out of me at the worst times. Such as when getting a speeding ticket........
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    edited December 2016
    "I blurted out "Jesus Christ!", and the Nuvi responded with "say a command""
    This instance occurred on Christmas eve, right? :)

I still use "voice command". I have had the device think that I said the command once or twice. No biggie.
    Because of that, I suspect that any phrase might be mis-heard by the device once in a great while.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Ramaprem said:

"I blurted out "Jesus Christ!", and the Nuvi responded with "say a command""

Surprised that it didn't just answer "Yes". ;)
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    :))

And Fred couldn't think of a command(ment)?
  • Simply put the voice assistant feature sucks with the garmin.
    Sometimes I play with it to see what kind of results it gets when searching for places.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited December 2016
    I agree and gave up on it several generations ago. Maybe it's improved but I am skeptical. Today we are used to voice recognition such as Siri, Cortana, Alexa…. whatever. These applications just use your phone/computer as an interface and send your digitized voice to a data center where a powerful server does the real work, sending the results back to your own device.

The CPU in a Nuvi is several generations behind current smartphone technology and that puts it in a completely different league.
  • Thats true Boyd, but I had briefly a TOMTOM and the voice assist on it was vastly superior to the Garmin one.
    It really impressed me and was one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to a Nuvi with voice.

I didnt like the TomTom for other reasons.